HybridZ

Considering buying a 260z

I'm considering buying a 260z as my first car, I'm about to go and inspect the car later this week for rust and damage to the car. The seller is selling the car for a very reasonable price because of one thing, the transmission was lost/stolen from him when he was trying to replace the clutch. My real concern is if I can find a replacement transmission for the car. I have only found person online willing to sell a 260z transmission but he lives across the country and it would be more in shipping to get the part then what I would paid for the car basically. I was wondering if there were any other transmission that would fit this car or if I would be stuck trying to find an elusive part? I also wanted to ask if there was anything I should look out for when inspecting the car?

Welcome, I would highly suggest scrolling down if you are not sure what to search for as there are very related threads that cover this topic, as I was shown kindness, I'll pay it forward.

The transmission is not difficult to source, there are very many available both in junkyards and craigslist (240z, 260z, 280z, 280zx trannies are all interchangeable with very slight modifications), heck many people will toss the 4-speed in favor of the 5, so many stout 4-speeds are roaming around. The thing that may cause a little concern is the drive shaft, as many people do like to hold onto them, but once again easily available at a junkyard.

Spend a few hours browsing the forum and reading some build threads, and you will definitely know what to look out for. Biggest two pieces of advise I can give you, first is to take someone who knows what they are looking for/has experience buying/restoring classics, and the second is be very willing to walk away, I wish I had, many Z's pop up and some few gems come up from time to time (after purchasing mine, both an RB swapped and a V8 swapped vehicles well within my budget appeared on the scene), don't be stuck with a turd.

While it can be well meaning, don't take the owner's word at face value, probe and look around, lift up carpets, test everything. What you want is a solid chassis with no structural rust or damage. Light surface rust is ok, but if you don't know how to differentiate, take someone who does. The running gear is much less of a concern. If a restoration is desired, completeness of the interior is second after a very sound chassis, as certain interior pieces are very very expensive/hard to find.

Be willing to pay about 2k (probably more) for a solid chassis, more for a strong runner, don't be upset or surprised when there's a lot of work to be done on a 500$ car.

There was a thread on here where someone looked up pictures of general damage areas, the project hugo videos on youtube is a perfect example of most of the damage areas. Once again if you don't know what these areas are, take someone who does, it will be the best 10-50$ you will spend.

Areas to check:

Rear Doglegs

Floors (especially near the firewall)

Seat mounts

Battery Tray

Fenders

Rear Hatch Sill

Spare Tire Well

Frame Rails

Engine Bay Rails

Swaybar Mounts

Crossmember Mounts

Rockers

Things to avoid:

Car sitting out in the elements

Fauna growing on and in car

Water presence inside vehicle

For more specific help, take high quality pictures, and post them via a photobucket or similar host, it makes the photos much easier to access.

Philchan,

If you do get the car I have a 4 speed in Kennewick that you can have if you come pick it up while I'm home from school over winter break.

Merry Christmas :)

Eveything Seattlejester said about rust is spot on. PM Challenger on here. He is from spokane (not sure if he is in town, I think he might be doing an internship in the Seattle area right now), and may be able to advise you on the specifics of the car.

Looking at it on craigslist, it could be a pretty decent pick!

Rust is your #1 enemy!

Edited by cockerstar

Philchan,

If you do get the car I have a 4 speed in Kennewick that you can have if you come pick it up while I'm home from school over winter break.

Merry Christmas :)

Eveything Seattlejester said about rust is spot on. PM Challenger on here. He is from spokane (not sure if he is in town, I think he might be doing an internship in the Seattle area right now), and may be able to advise you on the specifics of the car.

Looking at it on craigslist, it could be a pretty decent pick!

Rust is your #1 enemy!

That's the exact car I am looking at buying. I plan on taking a mechanic friend of mine with me to see the car seeing how he will probably be able to spot thing I would over look. I am glad transmissions aren't too difficult to find then if it isn't eaten by rust I will probably buy it

No, the car hasn't been sold just yet. I have been communicating with the owner and he has just decided to take down the ad because there are prospective buyers now. I'm hoping I can get in and get the car before some else comes along. Funny story though the car originally belonged to my mechanic friend who sold it about ten years ago and he can easily help me find and install the missing transmission.

I bought it its on the way to California as we speak :lol: .... Kidding . But I hope u picked it up .

I would be very sad if you did

Edited by Philchan