HybridZ

Cant built pressure on slave (camaro t5, 5/8 MC)

Siberian Husky

I am having a hard time building pressure for the clutch system. Im using a 5/8 MC, not sure on the brand and using the stock *plastic* SC that comes on the f-body t5. The larger port was drilled and tapped to take standard pipe per JTR and the other port is closed off with an allen accessible plug. When i manually pump the MC (off the firewall) with my hand it seems to build a tiny bit of pressure but it soon gets lost. My connections are good, i find no leaks--from what I have investigated. Im tempted to ditch this set up entirely for something more practical. Something about the plastic SC turns me off. I know there is a good write up on using a wilwood SC with a 7/8 borem, jegs has it for 75; it looks like an involved job- i'd rather not tear off the bellhousing as the entire powertrain was just mounted in. As much as I attempt to bleed, I get very little pressure and ZERO translation between pedal and actual SC pin movement.

Im running a SS line with a tapped fitting for standard pipe into the SC.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for my lack of knowledge, I'm still learning.

So you are using a T5 SC. That's good because it has a bleed screw. I would take fluid out of your MC. and force fluid in your SC bleed hole to force air bubbles up, this should help. It's very difficult to bleed the clutch system the old fashioned way.

Go to autozone and get a new SC from a 92 Trans Am. They are aluminumn and still have the bleeder. I swapped from the plastic as well. For connecting it to the master I had a local hose shop make me a hard line from the master to the slave for $40 with swivel fittings for movement.

Quick question, just so I understand what I am doing. How should the SC look at rest; without pedal depression--should the rod be fully retracted applying pressure to the plate? Im asking because I want to understand what to look for once I have successfully completed this.

As I see it now, the at-rest position of the SC in relation to the plate is full extension putting pressure on the plate.

Another approach for bleeding the clutch MC/slave is to open the slave bleeder screw and let gravity flow fluid into it. Put a pan under the slave, remove the cap from the MC, top off the MC with fluid, open the slave bleed screw and let it drip for about an hour while keeping the MC topped off with fluid. Don't let the MC empty out. After about an hour, close the slave bleeder. Pump the clutch once or twice and, assuming that the slave and MC are not leaking and that you have the correct size MC, the clutch should work.

In your post you said that you are using a 5/8 MC. Did you mean 7/8?

Look at post 7 here: http://forums.hybrid...__1#entry920425

Edited by Miles

I ran the plastic slave cylinder for years without an issue. You do need to make sure your MC is 7/8" and not 5/8". Other than that, I thinks its just a bleeding issue. I tried the gravity bleed on mine and it didn't work. Just get a partner to pump the pedal, with you working the bleed screw, and do it the old fashioned way.

Mike Mileski

Tucson, AZ

The Tilton 7/8 clutch MC is the tried and true solution for the T5 clutch set up. It is listed in the link I provided above.

Tilton 7/8" MC TIL-74-875U $80.00 Summit

I have used it on two 240Z builds in which I also used the plastic Camaro slave cylinder without problems.