HybridZ

MSIII Ignition driver

SleeperZ

I am planning a MSIII install into my 280Z to control an L28ET with factory coil (for now, may go full sequential later) and distributor with Z31 wheel. I want to keep the coil driver next to the coil so I don't have to run the coil current through the MS. Is the standard ignition output capable of driving the base of the coil driver of the 280ZXT coil? What current can I run without stressing the MS driver?

If this isn't a possibility, I can go to a MSD type box or HEI, but I thought I'd like to go low budget first and upgrade where it makes sense.

Why wouldn't you run it through the MS3? The MS driver is more than capable of driving a stock 280ZXT coil and even if the coil is a dead short it has built in protection to shut itself down. The only thing you need to do is make sure you have your output set up as inverted like all the documents say.

Most all modern ignition modules accept a 5V positive going pulse with the width of the pulse being the dwell.

I setup a system for someone that did exactly what you are asking. I used the ignition output to fire the 280ZXT module that mounts on the coil bracket. I'm pretty sure the MSII settings for the ignition were "positive, going high", but if you PM me I will send a schematic and MSQ file (files on another computer).