HybridZ

RB26DET Turbo selection help?

TurboSE

I'm coming to the point in my build (fabbing piping for FMIC, exhaust, etc)and I'm still not sure what kind of turbo will suit my needs.

I picked up a T78 from a fellow RB26'er for a pretty good price, but I'm starting to think it may not be the right direction (it also needs a rebuild and a V-band flang welded onto the exhaust housing), so I don't want to throw good money after bad.

The goal is a 6-700hp. street car with some occasional strip time...I think the T78 maybe too top-end heavy for my use...plus, it's an old turbo. What is everyone else running?

I'm not afraid to do my own research, but honestly, I don't know how to read a compressor map and apply it to my needs. So I'm looking for suggestions on turbos and if anyone knows of a good place to learn to read turbo maps, please link me to it.

engine specs that may help:

Eagle rods

87mm CP pistons

B Poncams

Full Ferrea valvetrain

I'm sorry for my ignorance, but any and all help is appreciated.

600-700 in a s30 in street trim? How are you going to keep it out of a ditch? 17x15 slicks?

Sorry, shoulda specified...S13...I know this isn't an S-chassis forum, but the RBer's here are some of the most knowledgeable and helpful I've found.

Well I am looking hard at the new Borg warner EFR setup. I am only wanting aboout 500-550 so i am thinking the 7670 or a 7664 EFR with the internal wastegate. I am hearing good STREET results. Dyno results look pretty close to garret GTX series, PTE, etc... Supposedly they spool pretty good on the street. I think Geoff is running a 8374. There is not many of them out there yet as they are pretty new. BG EFR Info

I like the internal gate for the the S30 chassis as room is a huge issue.

Well I am looking hard at the new Borg warner EFR setup. I am only wanting aboout 500-550 so i am thinking the 7670 or a 7664 EFR with the internal wastegate. I am hearing good STREET results. Dyno results look pretty close to garret GTX series, PTE, etc... Supposedly they spool pretty good on the street. I think Geoff is running a 8374. There is not many of them out there yet as they are pretty new. BG EFR Info

I like the internal gate for the the S30 chassis as room is a huge issue.

Good info, I will look into the BW set-up.

GTX garrets are not much cheaper. (dual ball bearing) and you dont have to buy a wg or a bov if you dont want to...

Edit, Actually garrett is more if you get the GTX because I dont think they come with the turbine housing.

Edited by ZT-R

GTX garrets are not much cheaper. (dual ball bearing) and you dont have to buy a wg or a bov if you dont want to...

Edit, Actually garrett is more if you get the GTX because I dont think they come with the turbine housing.

hmmm...maybe I haven't been comparing apples to apples...

• 2 weeks later...

I have a buddy with an R32, stock bottom end, hks cams and cam adjusters, that we setup with a t72. I believe it is a ballbearing turbonetics turbo. It has a .68 p-trim hotside and gets 20ish psi by 5200 with a simple bleed type boost controller. It has had no weight reduction and traps at 126mph in the 1/4mi.

I have a buddy with an R32, stock bottom end, hks cams and cam adjusters, that we setup with a t72. I believe it is a ballbearing turbonetics turbo. It has a .68 p-trim hotside and gets 20ish psi by 5200 with a simple bleed type boost controller. It has had no weight reduction and traps at 126mph in the 1/4mi.

Now thats good info, thanks!

• 2 weeks later...