HybridZ

base timing confusion

Dadaluma

i am really confused as how to set the base timing on my car,

240z/vg30et ms2 using tunerstudio stock nissan CAS.

my problem is when i check the timing with a light while cranking, while the dizzy is in its normal posistion its at least 40+ degrees too advanced.

I have tried changing the trigger angle from 0 to 60 and tried adjusting the spark advance table, no change from either. i have read that your supposed to set a fixed angle

so as not use the igntion table but i cannot even find that option in tunerstudio. I am really confused as what steps to take from here.If someone could give me an idea

about what i might be doing wrong here, or maybe give me a step by step guide to setting base timing that would really help. Thanks -James

If you can't find the fixed angle option for whatever reason, export your spark map, set the whole thing to 10, set timing, import the spark map.

Set the timing by changing the trigger angle, messing with the adders, and the position of the dizzy until the timing light matches the spark map.

No I do not, do you mean what setup I am using?,I am new to this forum thing. I believe that I am one of the few vg swapped s30's.

Here is whats on my car

71 240z:

vg30et 7.8:1

t5 trans

Holset h1c

mercedes 420cc inj.

tial 38mm WG

generic intercooler

3 inch exhaust

ms2 ecu

gutted intake plenum

Any other info I would be glad to give thanks for all the help so far guys. I will try setting the timing again after work.

Here is what I am going to do:set dizzy to srock location set fixed angle to 10 deg. and adjust trigger angle and dizzy until i get 10 deg. on

crank timing and then set to use tabl,e sound right?

Attached are my settings for spark. I also have a VG30ET in my 280Z. I set the trigger angle to 60, and adjusted the distributor to match using a timing light. It's idling well at the moment, untuned anywhere else though.

Stock timing is 10 degrees at idle. Cranking is set to 300rpm. I am using an aftermarket coil, MSD Blaster 2, and those coil specs are from MSD.

I am using MS2-Extra 3.1, using the BIP373 ignitor, but I built the board a while ago and I trigger through JS10 (which is deprecated).

I was wondering if you had any pictures of how you did your swap, etc. You should start one here.

post-1233-057831100 1325293805_thumb.png

post-1233-088790600 1325294100_thumb.png

post-1233-080403300 1325294139_thumb.png

Edited by BLOZ UP

thanks for all the info, unfortuneately I dont have any build pics but i could take some of my current setup, the biggest part being turbo relocation pipe, and as far as lots of vg swapped s30's i really dont think there are that many compared to l28et or sbc, but there seem to be a lot more than i thought. thanks again -James