HybridZ

Quick question about cutting tubing

TurboSE

Can somebody explain how to cut tubing (3/4" square in this case) that when one piece flipped 180*, you'll get your desired angle? It's hard to explain so I added a pic:

4590.png

I know if I cut the tubing at 45*, and rejoin them, I'll get a 90* angle. What if I want a 110*?

It's not for my car, I'm putting wheels on my Reddy Heater, but it never hurts to learn something new.

Look at instructions on how to miter trim and molding for a house! It'll give you good calculations

Miter, thats the word I couldn't come up with, thank you.

Now, onto something more automotive, is there a similar way to calculate the size of "pie pieces" for something such as intercooler piping?

a la:

R35_IC_HardPipe_a1000.jpg

Is it really that easy?

Yes, it's just simple geometry.

Now, onto something more automotive, is there a similar way to calculate the size of "pie pieces" for something such as intercooler piping?

a la:

Pie pieces? Do you mean the cuts used for the sectioned bends?

Here comes that darn geometry once again. Take the angle of the needed bend and divide it by the number of sections you plan to use. If you angle both sides of the cut then divide that number by 2. It's that easy!

Yes, it's just simple geometry.

Pie pieces? Do you mean the cuts used for the sectioned bends?

Here comes that darn geometry once again. Take the angle of the needed bend and divide it by the number of sections you plan to use. If you angle both sides of the cut then divide that number by 2. It's that easy!

Sounds so easy after I read it, but I was a horrible geometry student, so thank you very much for your help!

I dont think its the geometry that is your issue...its your math

desired angle =90*

desired sections =X (in this case its five sections)

90/X=angle needed if your only cutting one angle side and leaving the other a straight cut.

90/X= angle needed/2 (if your planning on cutting angles on EACH side of peice

so in this case you have 5 sections with a desired bend of 90*

90/5=18

each peice would need to but cut at an 18* angle to make your bend 90*

Now if you were to want a more "round" bend and use less material in the long run then you will want to cut angles in BOTH side of each peice your working with.

18/2=9*

So if you cut 9* angles on each side of each peice your trying to make the result will be five sections would give you your 90* "bend"

ORRRRR you could just take it to eigther a professional fabricator, or get the tube mandrel bent professionally and probably save your self time, headaches ANNNND money!

I dont think its the geometry that is your issue...its your math

desired angle =90*

desired sections =X (in this case its five sections)

90/X=angle needed if your only cutting one angle side and leaving the other a straight cut.

90/X= angle needed/2 (if your planning on cutting angles on EACH side of peice

so in this case you have 5 sections with a desired bend of 90*

90/5=18

each peice would need to but cut at an 18* angle to make your bend 90*

Now if you were to want a more "round" bend and use less material in the long run then you will want to cut angles in BOTH side of each peice your working with.

18/2=9*

So if you cut 9* angles on each side of each peice your trying to make the result will be five sections would give you your 90* "bend"

ORRRRR you could just take it to eigther a professional fabricator, or get the tube mandrel bent professionally and probably save your self time, headaches ANNNND money!

Isn't there 6 sections in the above picture, the two end only being cut on one side and the middle four cut on both?

If you look at the other pics of the intercooler tubing you can see that the last piece is only a piece with a reemed out end, it is not cut at an angle. at least in the pics it doesn't appear to be.

But as stated above, buying prebent mandrel pieces is really the better way to skin this cat.

a la:

Absolutely...

Easiest way to do it is take your overall bend angle and break it evenly into the number of sections you wish to use... the more sections, the smoother the transition.

We use Solidworks to model each individual pie-section, and then lay everything out just to. From there, each piece is laser-cut from the Parasolid file to the exact angle, to within .003". We even etch the piece at 0 and 180 to line everything up perfectly, or they can be offset to create a complex curve...

Here's a Rotary manifold done using 15 degree pie-sections, before and after.

6048127980_d5c086699c_z.jpg

IMAG1047 by SENZA PARI, on Flickr

6078494044_90f6b08626_z.jpg

IMAG1112 by SENZA PARI, on Flickr

Downpipe using 10 degree sections (each bend is 70 deg. for this particular downpipe).

6109669746_5844c3b20d_z.jpg

IMAG1318 by SENZA PARI, on Flickr

6110766220_30c190f08b_z.jpg

IMAG1382 by SENZA PARI, on Flickr

And the L28 header we're working on... all pie-cuts. You can see the etch marks modeled into each pice if you look closely.

6426187743_abf31afb68_z.jpg

L28_EXHAUST_HEADER by SENZA PARI, on Flickr

6040263360_35962495df_z.jpg

IMAG1022 by SENZA PARI, on Flickr

6296591213_27b1b31149_z.jpg

L28 6-1 COLLECTOR 008 by SENZA PARI, on Flickr

Our last 20B setup...

6167831573_d41e381607_z.jpg

IMAG1614 by SENZA PARI, on Flickr

Edited by SENZA PARI

If you look at the other pics of the intercooler tubing you can see that the last piece is only a piece with a reemed out end, it is not cut at an angle. at least in the pics it doesn't appear to be.

But as stated above, buying prebent mandrel pieces is really the better way to skin this cat.

Oh, I thought the last one was angled.

I'm not necessarily going to use the pie cut method anywhere (I'm a fan of the "easy way") I asked mainly out of curiosity and for future reference. Thanks for all the help and info!

Absolutely...

We use SOLIDWORKS to model each individual pie-section, and then lay everything out just to. From there, each piece is LASER-CUT from the PARASOLID FILE to the EXACT angle, to within .003". We even ETCH the piece at 0 and 180 to line everything up perfectly, or they can be offset to create a complex curve...

All the highlighted words = MONEY and lots of it. Notice this is a PROFESSIONAL SHOP doing this type of work. This is not something you would want to tackle with an angle grinder or chop saw in your garage. Pay the money and have it done right. There is a reason fabrication stuff like this is so expensive.

Not trying to knock your desire for this down by any means, just putting this out there for anyone else who sees work this good and thinks to themselves "hey i might wanna try that to make such and such"...leave it to a shop fellas.

Edited by redneck1545

All the highlighted words = MONEY and lots of it. Notice this is a PROFESSIONAL SHOP doing this type of work. This is not something you would want to tackle with an angle grinder or chop saw in your garage. Pay the money and have it done right. There is a reason fabrication stuff like this is so expensive.

Not trying to knock your desire for this down by any means, just putting this out there for anyone else who sees work this good and thinks to themselves "hey i might wanna try that to make such and such"...leave it to a shop fellas.

No doubt, I love the look...but I wasn't asking for a specific reason. More of a "How do they do that?" inquiry...because I see stuff like this:

399659_208689002553454_100365216719167_471579_1423979218_n.jpg

and I will confess, I have some exhaust tubing laying around and I need a bed frame...figured I might practice my welding and bring a bit of the shop home with me. Thanks for all the info!

Much as I love the pie-cut-look I was always under the impression pie cuts were more of an aesthetic choice vs using pre-bent tubes. Though I guess you still need to a little math. Like this guy fabbing up headers in this "easy to do" tutorial. ;)

Edited by mutantZ