HybridZ

Silver Mine Motors Rear Disk Conversion Kit Write Up

Thanks! It doesnt seem to cover the whole disc I agree, but its not wasting a whole disc either. Coverage is pretty good. Weight wise, anything and everything will be heavier than stock. So weight wise I would say maybe 4lbs more than the stock caliper? Not 100% sure, didnt weigh either of the two. Only used the hand test lol.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd have thought the stock drum setup was fairly weighty. I don't mind adding some weight , just as long as I won't be adding loads, I'm trying to get the car as light as possible.

How are you finding the performance?

Thanks! It doesnt seem to cover the whole disc I agree, but its not wasting a whole disc either. Coverage is pretty good. Weight wise, anything and everything will be heavier than stock. So weight wise I would say maybe 4lbs more than the stock caliper? Not 100% sure, didnt weigh either of the two. Only used the hand test lol.

I've weighed the following:

SMM Mustang Rear kit: 25 lbs per wheel

Modern Motorsports Xtreme 13" Rear kit: 20 lbs per wheel

Drums with aluminum drum: ~ 13-14 lbs per wheel (not as accurate a scale as the other two)

An increase in pad radial height will actually decrease brake torque. You're basically moving the center of the pad closer to the center of the rotor, decreasing the leverage. So pad "coverage" isn't necessarily a good thing. Also, friction is effectively independent of surface area, so a larger pad surface area does not equal more friction.

Nigel

'73 240ZT

Edited by Nigel

One thing I didn't like when I installed the Silvermine rear brake set up is that my rear discs are larger than the fronts. I've got the Toyota 4x4 calipers with the 300zx rotors and they're clearly smaller than the Silvermine kit. I guess I could swap out the 4x4 stuff for the z32 brakes.

One thing I didn't like when I installed the Silvermine rear brake set up is that my rear discs are larger than the fronts. I've got the Toyota 4x4 calipers with the 300zx rotors and they're clearly smaller than the Silvermine kit. I guess I could swap out the 4x4 stuff for the z32 brakes.

If you're talking about using the Z32 caliper and Odyssey rotor, just be aware that this will be little more than an aesthetic change. If I got the numbers right, mathematically, that brake combo actually generates less brake torque than the V6 4x4/300ZX combo. Although, the difference is so small that it could be considered insignificant. You might also be adding a few pounds. Even from an aesthetic point of view, you're looking at less than a half inch difference in rotor radius, and it'll still be smaller than the Mustang rear rotor. If you're going to upgrade, the 12" AZC kit would probably only cost a couple hundred more, and give a significant bump in braking performance.

Nigel

^ Great info nigel, didnt know that.

Ian as far as performance. Compared to stock, I wouldnt know, never drove it stock. On a 240z I have and it doesnt compare to mine. I still have to tweak it like crazy, still havent found my sweet spot for braking. seems to be braking a hair later than it should. Didnt adjust it all the way from the MC when I was installing the kit. 

I've weighed the following:

SMM Mustang Rear kit: 25 lbs per wheel

Modern Motorsports Xtreme 13" Rear kit: 20 lbs per wheel

Drums with aluminum drum: ~ 13-14 lbs per wheel (not as accurate a scale as the other two)

Thanks for that, the SMM kit seems really heavy, thats alomost twice the weight of the stock setup. Don't really want to add that much weight but it might be the only kit that will balance out the AZC front setup.

• 1 month later...

How is the ebrake working for those of you with this SMM Mustang rear kit?  Does it operate within 3-5 clicks like a typical car?

e-brake works great on my car. the number of clicks depends on; how your system is adjusted, pad coefficient and such. i can lock my rears and have tested it on some pretty steep hills.

With the drum brakes I was using most of the parking brake handle range.

With the SMM I am no more than three clicks up, and that is after loosening

the adjustment almost to the limit under the car.

With the car on a hill and the brake set I can move the tranny in and out of gear

without the clutch (engine off obviously), there is no slop or slip at all.  I only

have just over a week and 300 miles on the setup, but I am very impressed

with the parking brake.

Agree I can pull the ebrake and its fine. Still want to adjust it a bit more, as Dan said its at minimum.I want it just a little tighter :)

Ive been driving about 150 miles with the new set up Front: Toyota 4x4's z31 rotor, Rear SMM cross drilled rotors and Wilwood 1inch BMC. Holy crap is it awesome! Its VERY well balanced, I can stomp on the brakes and stop in a straight line. I have a proportioning valve and where its set is pretty darn good. Stops quick and hard, definietly what I wanted from this kit. However to achieve that while having the wilwood bmc you MUST adjust your pushrod from the brake booster, or else you will get sme delayed braking.