HybridZ

Silver Mine Motors Rear Disk Conversion Kit Write Up

Haha I wanted to go with the xxr 002's at first, then I found some drag wheels I liked, but then I couldn't stop looking at sakuras, and I heard about the aleicas but couldn't find them anywhere in the us so I emailed this company in the UK who said they could send them to me, and then I emailed rota and got a phone number to call, and was quoted under 600 for all 4 shipped in whatever color I want, and in offsets -5, -15, and -25, whatever I chose, and in 15x8 or 15x9. I was stoked! Haha I wanted to have 7's, as I really don't need wide wheels, but 8's are awesome too. I'm gonna be running 225/45r/15 hankook ventus rs-3's which should give me some grip :).

Thanks for the how to on pad change, looks about identical to doing the rears on my mini except minus all the random sized tools that I took weeks to locate haha. I will just buy the HF tool since I had to rent one from kragen before, and in order to use it, I had to modify the fitting. In hindsight, I wish I had just gotten the HF tool. Anyways I'm sold on silver mine, I will be using this kit and their front stage 4 kit. It's a great price for what it is. I know 15's will be a tight fit, but it will work out!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Luseboy 15x8 will be perfect! And man should have sprung for the -25 lol, no spacer needed! But I thought about it and rota is coming out with awesome wheels but the xxr+tires would equal the same thing as the set of alecia's lol. Cant wait to see those pics though!

Thanks guys, glad it helped! Once I saw it I knew I had to include it, its very detailed. That tool kit isnt that expensive, and comes with more than what youll need but well worth it for the future.

Luseboy 15x8 will be perfect! And man should have sprung for the -25 lol, no spacer needed! But I thought about it and rota is coming out with awesome wheels but the xxr+tires would equal the same thing as the set of alecia's lol. Cant wait to see those pics though!

Thanks guys, glad it helped! Once I saw it I knew I had to include it, its very detailed. That tool kit isnt that expensive, and comes with more than what youll need but well worth it for the future.

Ya 15x8 is pretty much perfect haha. Well I haven't bought them yet, but I'm already decided on -5's, I don't mind using a spacer, and that way if I ever have to sell them, it will be much easier. Plus I don't know how they'll fit, so I'd rather size them so that I can space them out if need be. I will post pics on here when I'm done so you can see the brakes through the wheel :) I'm thinking purple for the caliper paint...

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm that tool looks amazing, but at $80? Seems to me like it would do a good job, even though the bleeder is downwards, because it is bringing the air up to the MC. I have been looking at tools like this to make it easier. Still havent installed my wilwood but when I do Im going to try a tool like this out and see. This brand looks great though.

this basically does the same thing, looks better too imo. http://www.harborfreight.com/brake-bleeder-and-vacuum-pump-kit-92474.html. I think it's worth it to flip the caliper anyways, it's not a hard thing to do, you rarely have to bleed brake anyways, unless your a track junkie and you boil your fluid a lot, and it's not like it's that hard to flip the caliper, right?

The concept seems sound. The plastic tool might not be robust enough for frequent use. Get the metal one if you will use it a lot. Also, this system appears to use the bleeder valves for the fluid hose connection. Since the bleeders don't have any seals they leak fluid when open for bleeding so it will likely leak brake fluid while in use.

I like the $30 tool better haha, you are right though. Unless you are a track junkie, you shouldnt have to bleed your system often. Every 2 years would be nice or in extreme heat like those weeks its a contant 100*+. This makes the job a whole lot more bearable.

That $30 tool is junk. I went to PepBoys and all they had was that one. The handle broke halfway through my brake job so I'm ordering the one I posted about. I'll follow up and let you guys know how it goes.

Oh no! That's not good... Let us know how it goes!

Ok I promised to provide an update on the brake bleeder so here it is. I started with the passenger side caliper and it bled with no problem so then I proceeded to do the driver's side and that literally took 5 minutes to do. The only issue I have was bleeding the master cylinder which I think I'm going to have to pump the brake pedal to get the air out.

As far as the bleeder is concerned it was sturdier than I thought it would be. It was made of high impact plastic that was heavier than it looks. Overall a very easy system to use and while it is expensive I felt it was worth it.

After I installed my rotors I realized there might be a right and left side based on the slots. I found this on the Brembo site here: http://www.buybrakes.com/brembo/faq.html#q28

Which direction should the discs rotate?

It is a popular misconception that the slots or drillings in a disc determine the direction of rotation. In truth, for an internally vented disc, the geometry of the vanes dictates the direction of rotation. There are three vane types in use:

Straight

Pillar vane (comprised of many small posts)

Curved vane

The first two vane types are non-directional, and can be used on either side of the vehicle. The curved vane disc, however, is directional. A curved vane disc must be installed with the vanes running back from the inside to outside diameters in the direction of rotation. Please see figure. Orienting the disc in the manner creates a centrifugal pump. The rotation of the disc causes air to be pumped from the center of the disc, through the vanes, and out through the outside diameter of the disc. This greatly enhances the disc's ability to dissipate heat.

Additionally, all of Brembo's slotted discs are directional as well, regardless of the vane geometry. The discs should be installed such that the end of the slot nearest the outer edge of the disc contacts the pad first. Please see figure.

• 11 months later...

Nice writeup, thinking of running this setup myself as long as it will clear 16x8 rota RB's which is probably what I'll run until I fit arcg flares.

The pad doesn't seem to cover much of the disc though.

Do you know how much more this weighs than stock?

Edited by EF Ian