HybridZ

72 240z with 83 zxt swap HIGH IDLING

Hey there krew. just got the project car up and running.. i got the wiring done by myself and the car seems to turn on and off no problem. the issue i am having is that the IDLE is rather HIGH. It sits @ about 3k Rpm's I have done the following trouble shooting.

1) quickly test that all injectors are spraying ( by quickly removing the injector clips while engine is on to see if hesitation starts, then placing them back on promptly) " this doesn't seem to lower RPMs but engine hesitations occur on all 6 so thats a +)

2) played somewhat with the timing of the car in regards to the distributor position. (all it does it begins to backfire a bit and hesitate when i retard it too much, advancing the timing doesn't seem to cause an effect much other than it would "seem" like it runs a tad smoother but advance is no bueno on turtles) "RPM's don't drop what so ever by messing with the timing

So coming to the Gurus in hopes of somebody having a clue in regards to what IS or COULD be the culprit so that i can adress the matter accordingly.

thx guys.

It's getting too much air. Either something is holding the throttle open or there's a vacuum leak somewhere. Unhook the throttle linkage at the throttle body, and see if it goes back down. If not, then back the idle screw while it's running - see if it slows down. If that doesn't bring it down, start looking for vac leaks.

With a vacuum leak that is causing it to idle so high you should be able to hear it, especially if your exhaust system is complete and/or muffled in some way. even if not muffled, take a peice of rubber fuel or vacuum hose about 12-18 inches long and hold one end to your ear and move the other around the various vacuum hoses. You will definitely hear a high pitched sucking sound at the point of the leak or leaks.

Another way is to open the valve on an unlit propane torch and move it around the vacuum lines. The rpm will increase at the point of the leak. I never liked this method though, basically your holding a bomb in your hand in the presence of spark and raw fuel.