HybridZ

Made a mistake--sand in engine

z1 zonly

I'm wrapping up a VH45DE swap into a Z32. I started several years ago by attempting to build a rear sump pan. At one point I sandblasted the pan. I thought I had cleaned it as well as I could before mockup, but it still dusted a bit of sand into the bottom end.

Fast forward several years and I'm finishing up the swap, this time with a stock VH oiling system. I sealed the pan tonight (no rebuild--this is a good condition engine), and cleaned up any foreign debris as well as I possibly could. I still have a lump in my throat that this could be a big problem. Is there anything I can do to alleviate this?

The only ideas I've had are to fill the engine with mineral spirits and turn it over with the starter several times before draining it and filling it with oil. Or filling it with cheap oil, run it at idle for 30-60 seconds, then change the oil and filter. Is it even going to matter?

Definitely screwed this one up :angry: .

Are you saying that you saw sand in the pan but sealed it up anyway? Or that you got sand on the bottom end when you sand-blasted? How did it "dust" the bottom end?

On most (all?) engines, the oil travels from the pickup tube to the pump to the oil filter then to the bearings. So the oil will be filtered but fine sand grit is not normally in the oil to be filtered.

If you're question is about alleviating the lump in your throat, I suggest a beer or two before starting the engine.

The engine hasn't been started. The sand entering the engine was a result of an oversight on my part while attempting to customize an oil pan (which I've since abandoned). What I did tonight was clean the bottom end as well as I could before installing a perfectly clean stock pan and pickup tube. My worry is about lingering particles of sand in the bottom end that I wasn't able to clean (from the aforementioned mishap).

Edited by z1 zonly

Like the carnage thread, we should have an "I screwed up" thread. I burned up my $400 modified LS2 engine wiring harness yesterday. It was all my fault, just a stupid, careless mistake. Then there was the time that I went off the road backwards on a test drive after puting in a new differential.... My dad had a VW motor burn up right after he rebuilt it - he forgot to put an oil pump in it, and my dad was the smartest guy I've ever known. Sorry about your trouble, I don't know what to recommend.

I'm feeling less worried about it. I bought some cheap oil and good filter and will change it after the first few heat cycles.

Hell, even if it lunches the bottom end, the hard conversion work is done :D. Bright side, bright side.

Just finished installing the engine and transmission. Lots left to do, though.

8xWi1.jpg

Fill it with cheep oil and some detergent additives. Turn it over by hand, or with the starter. Pull the pan and valve covers, after draining the oil, and spray down with some diesel till you are satisfied there is no debris left. No harm done and you won't have to tear it all down. You should also remove and clean the oil pump.

Edit: P.S. looking good. Hope all works out for you.

Edited by neotech84