HybridZ

Paint question

CaptainJoe87

Hey guys, I was wondering how many rattle cans it took you to flat black your cars. I have a 280zx and I started the sanding, replacement of the headlight bucket, and small bits of bondo today. I am hoping to get the bondo sanded down tomorrow tape everything up and lay down the paint. So if anyone can give me an idea of how much paint to get I would appreciate the help. I am pretty confident in my spray can skills hahaha but if anyone has any tips, your knowledge is always welcome.

Side note, It was cool to start doing this body work today. I was very surprised with some parts of the car that looked nasty but once I started sanding it was just whoever did the work before did a terrible job and didn't sand the bondo that they put on down smooth and stuff like that. I'm also happy I'm not paying anyone a ton of money to do this, just a friend some pizza and beer to have an extra set of hands around. Its not as hard as I thought it would be once I started doing the work. Tomorrow should be good I just hope it doesn't get windy around here when it comes time for paint. Between this paint job and the matte black XXR 527's that I'm planning on getting I think I will have a pretty sweet looking car, especially once I get it lowered. Slowly but surely moving in the right direction.

Edited by CaptainJoe87

Awesome thanks guys. Ill make sure to post some pictures when its all said and done. Unfortunately I think I got rid of the before pictures I had on my computer that showed the rust spots so I just have some old full pictures of my car.

Edited by CaptainJoe87

Yea it came out nice. I have to touch up a couple spots where the bondo didn't get sanded down enough and repaint those parts but its all good. It got dark after my first coat so I touched up some little stuff this morning too. About $80 and 12-16 hours of work and this is what it looks like.

Before

post-13998-045161200 1325441219_thumb.jpg

And after

post-13998-079353700 1325441251_thumb.jpg

Since my car was black to begin with that might be why it tool less coats. Again its not perfect but for the first time I've done any body work and any spray painting that wasn't on a wall or train, I'd say it came out pretty nice. Oh and by the way, the before picture was of the good side of the car hahahha the other fender did not match the rest of the paint and the headlight bucket was chipped something terrible. But the headlight bucket was replaced and everything is now the same color, even the paint chipped wiper arms.

Edited by CaptainJoe87