HybridZ

ECU needs exact replacement?

Heroez

I read conflicting info on this. I am replacing the ECU and AFM on a 1983 280zx turbo 5 speed. My ECU is A16 603 580, afm unknown at this time. My question is - Do I need an exact matching ECU and AFM, or do they interchange with other turbo models? One post I read said the ECU is paired with an AFM. Is this true? I found a guy with an 82 turbo ECU and AFM. Will they work on my 83? Any info you can give is greatly appreciated.

82/83 ECU/AFMs are identical. If you have a 'matched pair' then chances are good any issues you have are in the harness, and not the pair.

But they are not 'matched' in any way. I have seen BMW AFM's attached to JECS ECU's. Resistance is resistance. Just make sure the pin compatibility is there, and you can basically put any AFM from any car onto any other.

I see. Thanks for the info. You have watched me struggle on this issue, and things are starting to make sense. Its my ignorance of the operating mechanisms on these parts that is the cause of the stress and delay in repair. Things are looking up. My multimeter was delivered today. I got a matco basic meter. Tonight I have to give myself a multimeter 101, and read the booklet. I hope it has a booklet. I better open this thing up! If it is in the harness, Im going to need a big brother to help me with it. Its completely unfamiliar, and my confidence is pretty low. My plan is to test the AFM per the turbo manual from 81. Im hoping the values are out of range.

I see. Thanks for the info. You have watched me struggle on this issue, and things are starting to make sense. Its my ignorance of the operating mechanisms on these parts that is the cause of the stress and delay in repair. Things are looking up. My multimeter was delivered today. I got a matco basic meter. Tonight I have to give myself a multimeter 101, and read the booklet. I hope it has a booklet. I better open this thing up! If it is in the harness, Im going to need a big brother to help me with it. Its completely unfamiliar, and my confidence is pretty low. My plan is to test the AFM per the turbo manual from 81. Im hoping the values are out of range.

Use the 82 manual. You can download the PDF from xenons130.

http://www.xenons130.com/reference.html

Yes, I have the 81,82, and 83 manuals and the turbo supplement. The values are diferent between the 83 fsm and the turbo supplement. Well, at least thats what I thought I saw... Looks like I need to learn to use these manuals first. Any pointers for me?