HybridZ

l28 and zx 5spd into 70 240z

pleadingbark

Im putting a l28 with the zx 5spd into my 70 240z. I've read its all straight forward from what I've seen, but I have 2 questions, first being do I have to do anything to the transmission tunnel or shifter hole, and secondly do I need the drive shaft from the car im getting this out of?

Agreed with nullbound :-) ,,, get an earlier shifter ,, or if you cut out the tunnel just remember there are brake lines going down the passenger side on the top to the right of the shifter !

I did this same exact swap you are looking at on my 73 240z ,,, and found out exactly what nullbound said ! Swapped shifters , and problem solved !

Because you have a 71 ,,, your rear diff ,,, if it is a stock r-180 ,,, and a stock 70-71 r-180 mustache bar ,,, you will HAVE TO use your current driveline ,,, as the rear diff is "farther forward" than the rest of the s30 models ,,, this means you have a shorter drive-line currently ,,, so ,,,a 73-ish and later s30's will have longer drive-line's than your's ,,, if you convert to r-200 ,,, you will need a longer drive-line such as from the 72+ s30 series that apply ,,, you can't use a 2+2 driveshaft unless you buy it ,,, then take it down to a driveline shop and have them shorten it. So if it's a 2+2 your pulling it out of ,,, driveshaft is too long period.

In my project 71 ,,, I took out my drive-line ,,, and compared to 4 other various non 2+2 model 240-280z drive-line's I had ,,, It was indeed shorter (from the 71) ,,, If you decide to go with the 280z/zx shaft ,,, check that the mating flange will work (search) ,,, and remember those are pressed/swedged in U-joints !

Also consider getting the R-200/half-shaft's from that 280zx ,,, and grab yourself a 280z mustache bar ! Stronger-Rear-end ,,, and 3.54-3.90-4.11 !?(200sx mod I think ?) Final Drive Gear Ratios to choose from (open differential's) ,,, of course you can get an R-180 3.36 or 3.54 ,,, of course you will need the 280z or later 240z drive-line at that point

I enjoy 3.54 for highway cruising ,,, 3.90 is good for town ! ,,, poly bushings tend to resonate a lot of noise ( just a thought) for if you choose to change those out !

Use only GL-4 Gear Oil Approved fluids ( I think Napa In-House Brand , and Redline are two I know of/use ),,, not all GL-5 Fluids are "yellow metal safe" ,,, even though they specify they are ! ,,, approximately 2qts of gear oil ,,,

I believe your a member of "ratsun" as well ! haha

Edited by Blue

Outside the USA, the five speeds were packaged with 3.9 or higher gears. Doesn't change fuel mileage but does make for a fun ride.

The early 5-Speed in my car with an L28 and 3.90 is a great combination.

In a car with an L24 I'd go with the 4.11, makes highway cruising effortless, and normal passing doesn't require changing down two gears llike when a 3.36 is in there!