HybridZ

Distributor Blueprinting

240zip

Has anyone tested their distributors on a Sun Distributor Testing Machine?

post-1627-080677100 1325794575_thumb.jpg

We have a 504 and a 506 (similar machines but the 506 tests up to 12,000 engine RPM). I know the whole Ferrari and Fiat people live by these machines and we even have special adapters for their distributor models. The machine will allow you to create a very accurate graph of the advance curve and even has a vacuum pump to test and show the impact of the vacuum advance on top of the mechanical advance curves. You can also test and dial in distributors such as the Mallory Unite ones with those little counter weights.

Check into Jeff Winter's shop, he's been running Zs for years at Second Creek and now High Plains. He knows Zs and carbs inside and out. His website..

http://www.rallye-sport.com/

He left his contact information over on Pelican parts...

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/358719-technical-wizard-grady-clay.html

Edited by SleeperZ

Jeff helped with my 42DCOE's ... he has a complete jetting set-up. He doesn't have a dyno but will rent time and then just charge you by the hour for the tuning and dialing in. Expect perhaps $200 to $300 to really dial-in the carbs if you're starting with a decent rebuilt or new set. If you want to get your triples rebuilt, I recommend Rex Chalmers. He costs about $100 a carb and you can supply the rebuild kit or he'll do it. That's a complete tear down and rebuild to like-new. If you're running triple webers, you absolutely need a distributor with a mechanical advance. I use a Mallory, Pertronix, MSD 6A and that's in combination with a good low pressure high volume pump and secondary regulator.

post-1627-096560700 1326209515_thumb.jpg

post-1627-017679800 1326209536_thumb.jpg

with what you spend on getting triples right, you can go with ITBs and MegaSquirt for less. Of course I absolutely love mine.

Edited by 240zip

I think Lanier's Speed shop here in Colorado springs has a Sun Distributor machine, I've only seen a glimpse of it through the window though haven't been to the shop myself actually but its in downtown off Vermijo and Nevada. Seems like a pretty cool shop otherwise.