HybridZ

L28et with '73 240z 4-speed, clutch and flywheel

Colin G.

I have browsed through a few parts interchange posts but haven't gotten a direct answer yet on my question. I am preparing to drop an L28et into my '73 240z, but still need a flywheel and clutch. For the moment I am going to stick with my original 4 speed until I can source a 5 speed. My understanding is that flywheels and clutches should be matched with the transmission being used, therefore I am curious if I can use the 240z flywheel/clutch combo that I currently have on my L28et. I am just trying to get the engine in and running without investing too much into a setup that will eventually be changed (4 speed replaced with 5 speed). What are my options or are there any blog posts that I have not come across yet that cover this topic? Your time and advice is greatly appreciated.

Apparently, if the L28ET engine had an automatic, there's a spacer on the end of the crankshaft that you need to remove if you're going to use a flywheel. The 240Z flywheel should then bolt right on. The critical parts to keep together are the pressure plate (height) and the throwout collar (height), because they both come in a variety of heights. Keep those two together, or measure the total height of the two combined (from your working 240Z) and match it if you get new parts. People seem to run in to problems when they get a thick pressure plate and a thick collar or a thin plate and a thin collar. The slave cylinder has to be at the right starting point and can only move a certain distance.

You'll want a good clutch if your going to make good power with the L28et, If I were you I would get the 225mm flywheel (which you have) or get the 240mm flywheel (which came on the 2+2 stock or you can get one aftermarket) If you run the 225mm flywheel you will need to get a turbo clutch disc and pressure plate. This subject has been covered many times before but if you get the 225mm flywheel you need to have the same throwout collar as the pressure plate for example.

225mm flywheel 225mm clutch/pressure plate 4 speed throwout bearing

240mm flywheel 240mm clutch/pressure plate 2+2 throwout bearing.

I believe the early 5 speed versus the later 5 speed have different throwout bearing lengths basically you just need your flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, and throwout bearing to match and you should be able to use any transmission you want within reason.

If you run the 225mm flywheel you will need to get a turbo clutch disc and pressure plate.

There's a turbo clutch disc and pressure plate for the 225mm flywheel? I assume that's a typo?

You can also also use a 240SX collar with the 240mm pressure plate.

Nigel

Havent checked back in to this topic in a few days after thinking it might move quickly into the archives without a response. Thank you for all of your responses, they were very informative. I will respond with which combination I end up going with in the near future, but as of right now my main priority is reassembling my L28ET. Bolted everything back on last night except for the oil pan only to realize that the intake appeared crooked when I took a step back and looked at the engine. Doh! :angry: Now that the original anger and frustration has passed, I will adjust the intake tonight after work.

Thank you again for all of your feedback, as all of your comments are going into consideration for my setup. At the moment the 240z flywheel combo looks to be the best bet for right now, but I haven't given it too much thought yet.

Colin,

I've run my 240z with the original 4 spd, early 5spd (79), late 5spd (83), and will be making the jump to a FS5w71C box (87 300zx) soon. I've also run the original 240z flywheel, 280zx flywheel as well as a Fidanza flywheel / act clutch. The transmissions make no difference. The only thing that makes a difference in terms of compatibility is the pressure plate and clutch collar. 240z, 260z and 280zx had different height pressure plates and thus different length throwout bearing collars.

If you want a 240mm clutch, you must get the 240mm flywheel, pressure plate and clutch disk.

If in doubt concerning the throwout bearing collar, you can

1. measure the distance from the bellhousing mating surface and the throwout bearing when fully disengaged.

2. measure the distance from the engine to transmission mating surface and the forks (springs) on the pressure plate.

You can make these measurements using a straight edge and a vernier caliper or even a ruler. If the 1st measurement is longer than the 2nd by more than 5mm then you are using the 240z collar instead of the longer 280zx collar.

When it's right and the engine/transmission is installed there should be a little play (about 2mm) in the clutch fork.

So to answer your question: yes you can use your existing combo.

Here is a good reference i've found on the topic.

Colin,I've run my 240z with the original 4 spd, early 5spd (79), late 5spd (83), and will be making the jump to a FS5w71C box (87 300zx) soon. I've also run the original 240z flywheel, 280zx flywheel as well as a Fidanza flywheel / act clutch. The transmissions make no difference. The only thing that makes a difference in terms of compatibility is the pressure plate and clutch collar. 240z, 260z and 280zx had different height pressure plates and thus different length throwout bearing collars. If you want a 240mm clutch, you must get the 240mm flywheel, pressure plate and clutch disk. If in doubt concerning the throwout bearing collar, you can 1. measure the distance from the bellhousing mating surface and the throwout bearing when fully disengaged. 2. measure the distance from the engine to transmission mating surface and the forks (springs) on the pressure plate. You can make these measurements using a straight edge and a vernier caliper or even a ruler. If the 1st measurement is longer than the 2nd by more than 5mm then you are using the 240z collar instead of the longer 280zx collar. When it's right and the engine/transmission is installed there should be a little play (about 2mm) in the clutch fork. So to answer your question: yes you can use your existing combo. Here is a good reference i've found on the topic.

I cannot thank you enough for this quick, yet informative summary. I begin school next week and just finished replacing all of the gaskets in the engine and began reassembling it. It was to my dismay that after assembling the entire thing I noticed that the intake manifold was a bit crooked. Oh the joys of sharing the bottom bolts with the exhaust manifold... Anyway, I am going to correct that this weekend and then try and get some wiring done before all my time is consumed with student teaching. Already counting down the days until summertime comes and I can get this turbo Z up and running.

For a run down of my project so far, check out:

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/103881-wangan-zeto-an-introduction/page__p__971541#entry971541

Always nice to get feedback from Z experts :D