HybridZ

Smashed? Bent? Been Jacked Wrong?

yarddogg77

Here's a few pis of what I had to do to the front stamped steel cross member on my 280ZX. The PO must have either hit something or tried to jack it up under there. I replaced the stamped steel with 3"x3"x1/8" square tubing. It don't think it hurt to strengthen things a little to. I had thought about adding an X brace but will do strut tower braces later instead.

Old one.

3OldCrossMember.jpg

New one.

4NewCrossMember.jpg

5NewCrossMember.jpg

I had to cut out the lower radiator support to grind the welds which I wasn't to thrilled with.

6CutBracket.jpg

Here's the new piece I made to fill it.

7ReplacedBracket.jpg

Here's the coolest thing about it, jack points!

8jackingpoints.jpg

All Done.

10paintstripped.jpg

Edited by yarddogg77

The PO also let the battery boil over for who knows how long so I had to replace some sheet metal under there.

11BatteryDamage.jpg

Here's the piece I welded back in. I would've preferred a custom cut from a junk yard, but I thought I'd try to sculpt one myself. It didn't turn out to great. At least it's hard to see with the battery in.

12BatteryDamageFixed.jpg

Here it is after sand blasting a little JB for fill around the welds, lots of think coats of Epoxy Zinc rich primer, and finally Urethane Auto Primer. Looks okay in the end.

BTPrimed.jpg

Here's what's left of the battery tray. I've already cut the bottom off and will use a few pieces of small tubing to remount it to the car. Pics soon.

13BatteryTray.jpg

Very nice work, I've been following your thread on ZCar. Make a build thread on this site.

Thanks. I have a full build thread in the members projects section. I have a link to photo bucket in my sig too. I should have pics of my interior coming soon. I'm just waiting for a few pieces from Palladin to complete my dash.

• 2 weeks later...