HybridZ

S130 Fender Flare Adaptaion

yarddogg77

Hey all. I would really like to do a wide body kit on my 280ZX. Thing is, I prefer steel. I can't find any steel fender flares. I don't think I have the skill and definitely not the tools to shape them myself and make them even. So I've been beating around an idea in my head that I'm sure you all have thought of. I was thinking of finding a car with a similar body shape and cutting it up and putting it on my car. I would like to try to find something that is easily available in junk yards, not something sought after and will closely match the ZX contours within reason. I had a few cars in mind but now I don't think they will work. If anyone knows of a car that fits the bill please tell me what it is or load up a pic. Thank you.

Edited by yarddogg77

Yes. I know a guy who has rolled metal flares made. They run 135 each. Way better than fiberglass. As for a widebody, usually its an entire rear quarter overlay and you cut out the rear quarter underneath. Front wide fenders replace the stock fenders. Without looking at vintage racecars it was difficult to find a wide body 280zx. Years ago when I searched, finally found a guy that used a wide body kit for the early 300zx and modified it to fit the 280zx. My opinion, it wasnt that great. In my eyes the car should be sleak. It didnt look as good as a widebody s30. Flares may be a different story. They may look good if filled up with wider tires.

Making them out of fiberglass wouldnt be too hard. I dont care for fiberglass much. I have to repair it at my job a lot. 135 a piece for metal flares that fit my car would be nice. Having done some fabrication today already... that price doesnt seem too bad. I would imagine it would be difficult and time consuming to make metal ones from scratch. The donor material is a good idea. I just dont know what to cut it off of. Tom Wyatt here used to use metal fender flares on his turbo 510s. He is no longer with but maybe someone around here can remember. I will ask a couple older fellas and see what they say. I have a gut feeling there are some universal type metal flares that you can work. - Maybe someone will happen by and help locate some.- Pantera style. Z force productions makes a fiberglass pantera style hatch. 12-13 lbs. Cuts down the temp at summer too. Have you looked at places like summit or nopi for metal flares?

Not yet. I've googled but keep coming up empty handed. I think I have a plan though. I'm going to lay down a piece of thick paper on my existing fender flares and trace it out to find out the dimensions. Then I may just make a larger sliver moon shape and weld them in so I can use the existing fender lips. This would bring out the top edge and the bottom would still be the same. I know the front fenders would be easy enough, but the rears may be trouble depending on how the inner fender wells are attached to the existing flares. I'll still be searching around for a car with the right style until then.

I was thinking of that too. Except I would want to do the entire car wider. It would look really cool with the contour of a Ford GT. The upper fender would come out real wide, then it could swoop back gradually to the bottom. Beside, if I go as wide as I'd like on just the fender wells, then the door section would look funky. I'm gonn buy some thin cardboard and play around with it. If I can get it close using mostly flat pieces, then I can pu body creases and stuff in it to add some substance.

It definately seperates the men from the boys. We are cutting, welding and grinding, so- If you are going to go, go big! If you want to try it yarddog, I will supply the bondo, glaze, and masking tape, for the bodywork.

Edited by Heroez

Yeah, I've been thinking about what they did to that mustang and I think it will work. I could widen just the top and curve it towards the front and back corners like a wedge. Then flatten the tops of the existing fender flares just a bit and crease the body line a little more. It would throw the angle off at the headlight buckets, but with the right air dam it could look like it was meant to be. The hardest part will be the doors. If I do those wrong then the body lines won't match up. I want to get some things in order and make a few body tools, then I'm gonna start. This is the Evil Plan.

drevilapproves.jpg