HybridZ

maxima caliper rear disc conversion help

My dad bought me a rear disc conversion for xmas with maxima calipers and I have installed the kit although the kit did not come with instructions. For some reason the calipers refuse to clamp down. I know they are bled fine because I have tried bleeding them multiple times and I have also tried switched the calipers. Supposedly these calipers are self-adjusting but I feel like they are not adjusting as they should. I am having trouble finding any information for troubleshooting so any suggestions are welcome.

thanks

ian

post-22314-086857200 1326850603_thumb.jpg

Looks like your bleed valve is not at the highest point. I had to rotate the caliper so that the bleed valve is at the highest point on the caliper.

I used a power bleeder so I didn't have to pump the brakes. Others have used a piece of wood to have the calipers clamp down on when bleeding them.

ritrebor

My dad bought me a rear disc conversion for xmas with maxima calipers and I have installed the kit although the kit did not come with instructions. For some reason the calipers refuse to clamp down. I know they are bled fine because I have tried bleeding them multiple times and I have also tried switched the calipers. Supposedly these calipers are self-adjusting but I feel like they are not adjusting as they should. I am having trouble finding any information for troubleshooting so any suggestions are welcome.

thanks

ian

post-22314-086857200 1326850603_thumb.jpg

IIRC, If you have a complete genuine early maxima kit, you should have Nissan parts which would be cast caliper mounts labeled "L" and "R" . The mounts are installed on the opposite side of their stamp: "R" will go on the left side and "L" will bolt to the right side. Your calipers will then be on the front leading edge of the rotor. Swap your calipers so that the bleed valve is on top. At this point, look at the angle the emergency cable mount bolted to the caliper forms to the brake disc. If it forms a sharp angle forward, then you probably have maxima calipers for the same year as the mounts.

The next item to look at is the flared end of your brake line; the end you have screwed into the caliper. The flared end you have may be designed for a drum brake master cylinder and may not be the appropriate flare for your calipers. If it is not, then you must either create an adapter to fit between the caliper and your line or build a flex line with the correct fitting for your calipers.

G

Hey, thanks for the fast replies. Ive actually reversed the L and R calipers because both the parking brake cable and the brake line sit better that way and the cable doesnt rub on the halfshaft. I tried what ritrebor did and rotated the calipers a little while bleeding them and I think that took care of it, I'll find out when try them tomorrow. Thanks again, guys. :)