HybridZ

Nasty Cobra Crash Willow Springs

Z-Dreamer

man oh man. I can't believe that tiny little single hoop over his head saved his life.

Exactly why I won't drive "Big Willow" without a full cage. I've driven "Streets" a dozen or so times and you can hit 100+ pretty easy on that straight. Bad things can happen in a hurry.

I've also been to Streets and not to the big track so I have a question. Don't most of the offs at the big track happen in 8 and 9, and aren't the speeds in those turns really high? I saw a Ferrari go off in 8 at very high speed while running at Streets. HUGE dust cloud, car went up over an embankment, it was a bad deal. All of the offs that I saw at Streets were in the slow areas where speeds where you'd be seriously hauling ass if you were doing 70 mph. Never seen a wreck at the end of the straight, which is the only place that you would hit that speed in my car, although I could see it being more likely when racing wheel to wheel.

I don't have any real statistics, but when I flagged at the big track a few times for SCCA most of the calls came in from turns 2 through 5. Most people remember the big offs in 8 and 9 because of how spectacular they can be, but there's a lot more incidents in 2 through 5, at least what I've heard and reported on the radio. Most folks who know what they are doing have a lot of respect for 8 and 9 and will only pass in those turns if they have a clear run on the car in front and know the driver they are passing.