HybridZ

Struts options

Hi,

I hope I am not missing a thread and this has been covered, if so please excuse. I can only find discussions about adjustable strut inserts on road racing applications. I have spoken to KONI's technical dept about revalving some for Drag Racing. They can Create one that has adjustment on both compression and extension for drag racing. I was wondering if anyone has overcame this through some other source or by having Koni custom build some similar? I know fabrication could allow for many different ways to resolve but I don't wanna cut up my stock strut assembly. Notice rebound bounce of car in video....

thanks in advance

Lane

A Koni or Bilstien shock can be revolved for about $100 per shock to get the traditional 90/10 drag racing shock. As set of new shocks of any kind will solve the rebound bounce in the video. You might want to up your front spring rate to about 250 to keep from slamming down hard.

• 3 weeks later...

A Koni or Bilstien shock can be revolved for about $100 per shock to get the traditional 90/10 drag racing shock. As set of new shocks of any kind will solve the rebound bounce in the video. You might want to up your front spring rate to about 250 to keep from slamming down hard.

Bilstein will no longer re-valve one of their strut inserts to create a drag racing double adjustable strut.

Koni will build one that is double adjustable and re-valve it for drag racing use. The measurements of the KONI inserts are not an exact match to the originals. The dimensions of the Koni inserts are a bit shorter than the stock and require a spacer to make up the length difference. The stroke however is the same and should be fairly easy to make work. The process of inquiring about this product was quite aggravating with both companies. I originally was quoted a price of around 800.00. I saved up the money over 3week period and called back to pull the trigger and the price changed. The final price for two struts is well into the $1000.00 Range far exceeding 100.00 per strut to re-valve. I am currently waiting for them to be built and will update with pics of installation which they arrive. I recommend asking for a quote upon inquiring about this process.

Finally, I did replace my worn out struts with a new stock type pair from O’reily’s. it was a cheap $100.00 experiment. I too was convinced that a new set would slightly calm down the up portion of my launch and drastically change the landing…..It completely killed the launch!!! as it doesn’t allow the car to come up and transfer weight over the differential like it did originally. I just wanted to share my findings in hopes that it may save someone the trouble…..

My Z still uses new replacement stock struts, now 13 years old, and original springs. My biggest problem is trying to keep the front wheels on the ground at launch.

Yes 13 year old strut come up perfectly...so did my original ones. If you were ever to replace them that would not be the case. Reason I replaced mine is because the car sat up for 4years while restoring. I didn't replace until after racing again and started experiencing rough landings. Now the old struts have no dampening on extension or compression therefore the landing is terrible. I have stood this car straight up in the pass with older struts that still had some dampening and you could not tell when the front wheels made contact with ground again. My problem exist due to laying the car up for so long.

Watch car get up of shape....old struts