HybridZ

2 questions....

Guest Justin

Guest Anonymous

75 was the first year for the 2.8l FI and the gas tank for the 280 will not fit into a 240.

I'm pretty sure on both of those, but don't get me lying icon_wink.gif

tom

Guest Justin

Does the the 260Z tank have baffles to keep fuel around the pickup? I'm just wondering if I could avoid having to make a seperate reserve tank, using dual fuel pumps, yadda yadda by just using a gas tank from an FI car to feed an EFI V8.

My fuel gage in my '75 was always low, and in response to that, I would not worry about when the tank was "really" empty until the engine would stutter or hesitate immediately after taking a "brisk" corner. Once that started happening, I knew I had a few more miles left in the tank. I cannot answer your question directly, but if they are baffled, then it was not very effective.

I'm not positive that an early 280 tank won't fit. There are differrent ones. An early tank with full size spare and smaller capacity (75-76?) might work, but the later tank with space saver and raised wooden floor willl not for sure. Anybody tried this or have parts cars to check out?

Hold on Justin. Don't give up on FI so easily. I have a solution for you. I bought a sump from Jeggs, part# 550-40757, $49.99 and welded to the bottom of my tank. I did not cut out the bottom of the tank to match the sump. Like the instructions with the sump said. Instead, I drilled two 1" dia. holes only. The bottom of the tank acts like a baffle, the sump like a purge tank. It works, it's cheap, it's easy. Meets all three of my criteria. icon_biggrin.gif Also, I have pictures, http://members.home.net/zcarphotos/djproj_psweb1/pages/fbs01r16f04.htm

Right, it's not a Zcar tank. But it's in a Zcar now! Use the back and forth arrows, it'll make sense.

Guest Justin

Wow, I gotta say Dan, that is one helluva sweet solution. Unfortunately, the reason for me going not going FI was that my insurance company wanted more than I expected for the LT1 out of my 94 Z28 (which I managed to total sunday...damn deer).