HybridZ

Advice and Opinions on Drive Line Upgrade

Tennesseejed

My NA to turbo project requires some driveline upgrades. Currenty using a stock 225mm flywheel mated to '83 5 speed and OE clutch. As is, the (new) OE clutch already slips if I drop the pedal above 4000rpms so its gotta go. (Only did that once trying for a hard launch at an autox and had to let off in order for the clutch to finally engage).

Looking for opinions and advice on going to a lightweight 240mm flywheel and Stage 3 (350+ ft/lbs) clutch.

I was prepared to go Fidanza for the flywheel, but searching revealed issues with bolt holes needing to be fully tapped and width v. stock flywheel issues which may require a different throwout collar. None of that is insurmountable, but I'd really like to only drop the transmission once.

I would also like to deal with a HybridZ vendor if someone deals with driveline products. I checked Betamotorsports and the Vendor forum and didn't find anyone. Vendor PMs welcome.

I know from the 5 speed swap that the throwout collar matches the flywheel. I'm using a 4 speed collar ('75 280 flywheel) and probably still have the 5 speed collar somewhere.

Has anyone had good, or bad, experiences with flywheel/clutch products or installation? Products I've looked at include SPEC, ACT, F1, Exdedy and Fidanza among others.

I'll be plenty satified with 300-350 whp, so is a Stage 2 clutch enough?

Car is a Summer driver with autox and, hopefully, some wheel to wheel racing down the road. My current philosophy is to drive the piss out of the car in autox and then sell it when I get bored. I.e., not a show car, not my "baby", etc.

Anyone who has been down this path and is willing to mentor the 'new guy' a little is greatly appreciated.

I used the Fidanza flywheel in both my cars, I love it and didn't really have any issues. Only thing is that only 6 of the pressure plate bolts line up, not all 9.

As for clutches, I use a Exedy Stage 1 (240mm) in my 280zx. It feels very good, doesn't slip( I'm still NA and not really making more than stock hp), and isn't stiff or harsh to engage.

On the other side I used a spec stage 3 6puck (240mm) with my high comp, big cam weber'd 260z. It was very harsh and had no room for engagement. It was either engaged or not. I stalled a lot when I first put it in. I was ok with it since I didn't really drive the car except on weekends. I would kill myself if it was my daily.

Go fidanza for the flywheel, you won't regret it. As for the clutch, I would recommend either company since both those clutches were awesome. I think Spec is a little cheaper though. Go with the 225mm clutch for a faster response/feel (less overall rotating mass) and if you really aren't using the car as a DD get a stage 3. You may up the boost at some point so go with the overkill.

Good info BluDestiny.

I had read about the 6 bolts v. 9 bolts on the Fidanza and don't see that as a problem. I did read that the Fidanza was a bit (1/4"?) thinner than the stock flywheel. Did you have any clutch engagement issues using the same throwout collar?

I need to do some more searching on the throwout collar issue. Since I'm currently using the late 4 speed collar, and the 240mm flywheel came stock on the 260 2+2 and '81-'83 turbo cars (?), I'm pretty sure I'll end up needing the 5 speed collar. I think I still have one.

Appreciate your insight on clutch strength and driveability. I'm leaning towards overkill (stage 3), but, as you say, big cluthes can be harsh for around town stuff. On the other hand, I gather that boost is like crack. Once you get used to 10psi, you need 15psi, then 20psi, and so on. In the end, you grenade your engine.

I am a little curious about your suggestion of using a 225mm clutch. Do you mean a 225mm clutch with a 240mm flywheel? Or 225mm for both flywheel and clutch?

Didn't know that the Fidanza flywheel was thinner, that throws a kink in the generic "which collar" question.

If you boil it all down, for choosing a throwout collar, the critical distance should be the distance from the back of the engine to the face of the throwout collar bearing (where the fork contacts it). The distance of the pivot ball for the fork from the back of the engine will always be the same, since it's the same on all of the transmissions. The end of the fork will always be in the same spot, the objective is to get the face of the throwout bearing in the same area. If I knew that distance, on a setup that works, that would be part of the answer to every "which throwout collar should I use" question.

There are several different pressure plate thicknesses out there along with the various throwout collars. Now there's a flywheel thickness difference. That's where the chaos lies, all those different dimensions. Just match them up to get the same stack distance, from engine to bearing face, of what you have now that works. It can't not work, if you're using the same master, slave cylinder and fork.

I don't have any power to speak of, so no advice on clutch selection, but do like a good throwout collar puzzle...

I did not measure the thickness of the fidanza, but I didn't have an issue in either of my cars. Both my cars had a 5 speed swap from a late 280zx in them already and I just reused the collars.

You can use a 225mm clutch on a 240mm flywheel becasue it just wont contact that extra 15mm. The 240mm pressure plate is heavier than the 225mm one so you'll save some rotating mass and may get better response.

If your gonna up the boost, go with the overkill. Just don't expect to have fun on the streets or in traffic.

I used this guys rule of thumb( in the clutch section):

http://datsunzgarage.com/engine/index.htm

Didn't know that the Fidanza flywheel was thinner, that throws a kink in the generic "which collar" question.

I'm not certain that the Fidanza is thinner NewZed, but there are some posts here on HybridZ about it. Also some posts about the bolt holes being only partially drilled and needing to be fully tapped by a machinist.

BluDestiny, when you did your five speed swaps, did you also swap the flywheels?

Thanks for the link too. Good stuff.

My 260z came with it when I bought it and my 280zx had it stock. I swapped the flywheel/clutch in my 260z when I burned up the clutch. I swapped the flywheel/clutch into my 280zx when I pulled the motor out to rebuild. It was a 2+2 so it already had the 240mm stuff.

So I never swapped in a tranny, just removed and replaced worn clutches. Did the flywheel at the same time.