HybridZ

This Camshaft with stock EFI!?

TheSwede

OK...Here´s the deal... bought the car about a year and a half ago, runs good but idles kinda funny from time to time. Hehe.

By the way its a 2080zx -81.

After intense investigation it turns out that the previous owner had installed at Schneider 270/280 duration camshaft

in it.

And it´s all stock EFI, the only thing the guy had done was to make a latch in the distributor, so he could adjust the ignition a bit further....

Further more I have no idea if the valve springs, lashpads or rockerarms are the proper stuff or just stock. I´m pretty certain the only thing he did was to change the cam.

So what to do....

Is there a good simple way to make the stock EFI feel some love for the camshaft...

(and i dont wanna know what the AFR/ignition values has been)

Or should i just drive the crap out of it, it worked last summer, and start rebuilding my spare engine?

Cheers from sweden once again....

P-J

Edited by TheSwede

I didn't even think that would run on the stock EFI. When I asked MSA they only recommended up to The stage 2 Cam for a stock EFI car. They said stage 3 wouldn't run.

If it runs though, run it to the ground. When its goes out you should have your spare ready.

Yeah.... im kinda thinking about it...hehe.

But dont get me wrong, it works... as soon as you reach about 4500rpm....then the bat out hell finally finds his way out of hell...but theres not much happening below thoose revs. And what bugs me most is that it certenly dont feel like your driving a 2,8 liter engine... more like something in the 1,2 litre range... : )

That's not that extreme of a cam, I ran that on a turbo, and it has a nice idle -- no overlap at all at 0.050".

Ok... but did you run a stand alone efi or stock?

I got a good swedish made system on the shelf, but i dont wanna use it for that car. Its a cruiser....no point of building a

2500$ system in it. : )

So what to do....

Is there a good simple way to make the stock EFI feel some love for the camshaft...

Option 1: Install Megasquirt or similar stand alone EFI so the engine can run the way it was supposed to. Also, you'll have a modern EFI system in place for the next engine.

Option 2: The cheap/easy solution is to increase your fuel pressure with a new fuel pump. The stock EFI system craps out with Stage 3 cams because it wasn't designed to deliver the necessary fuel for moderate cams.

If you plan on keeping the car, and have the funds, go with Option 1.

• 2 weeks later...

Option 1: Install Megasquirt or similar stand alone EFI so the engine can run the way it was supposed to. Also, you'll have a modern EFI system in place for the next engine.

Option 2: The cheap/easy solution is to increase your fuel pressure with a new fuel pump. The stock EFI system craps out with Stage 3 cams because it wasn't designed to deliver the necessary fuel for moderate cams.

If you plan on keeping the car, and have the funds, go with Option 1.

Yeah... Been thinking about it the last couple of weeks.... and as you put it, option 1 sounds like the best way to do it.

But.... little bit worried valve springs, valve lashes and all thoose little things in the engine head.

• 3 months later...

Yeah... Been thinking about it the last couple of weeks.... and as you put it, option 1 sounds like the best way to do it.

But.... little bit worried valve springs, valve lashes and all thoose little things in the engine head.

Option 3 crack open your AFM and let it run a little fatter(rich) to compromise if you dont feel safe doing it by sound and feel get a wideband and then do it thats what I did and I get my regrind in a few days same as yours so tuning will be fun.