HybridZ

Is anybody driving a Quaife Diff?

Spoony

Hi,

as i still dont know what to do with my diff in my RB25 Datsun, i talked to Quaife in England.

They have a diff for my stock R180 housing. It costs 700 GBP incl. shipping to Germany. They have two kinds,

one with 110mm and one with 115mm diameter, i have to get mine out to make sure im ordering the right one.

I would go with stronger U-Joints or replace the halfshafts with Modern Motorsport upgrade parts.

The guy from Quaife told me his diff would handle every kind of power i would drop on it.

I cant go with a Q45 or Z31 diff swap because we dont have them here in Germany.

My question is, would this setup work?

Did anyone drive a Quaife diff in a Datsun Z? Its different to other diffs, it doesnt really lock, it works with torque

and gives the torque to the wheel which has the best grip.

Will the gear ratio from my stock diff work with the r33 gtst gearbox?

Thanks!

Eddie

Edited by Spoony

My old race car ran a Quaife in its R180.

240Z%20at%20Thill%20Labeled.jpg

It handled 325 hp and 275 ft lbs. just fine, although I eventually ran a diff cooler because the Quaife will really heat up the fluid. The Quaife does not lock to 100% but gets to 80%. Its a torque biasing diff which means that torque will go to the wheel with the most grip, unless one of the wheels has no grip at all. They are very quiet and unobtrusive in normal street operation but will make a small whirring/growling noise under a lot of power in a corner.

JohnC:

Does the OS Giken LSD for the R200 heat up much like the Quaife? How much % of torque is coupled to the rear wheels? Please advise. Thanks.

In my experience, clutch pack LSDs don't seem to generate as much heat as a Quaife, but my experience/comparison isn't a fair one. I'm comparing the OSG in the R200 behind my 350Z to the R180 in my 240Z. In either case, for track use you'll want to keep an eye on how warm the diff gets (put your hand on it, but be careful) and change the fluid after the event if the diff cover is too hot to touch.

The OSG Super Lock can deliver 100% of the torque available to the rear wheels. With their default Spec-S settings the clutch packs are fully locked up at 336kg of torque at the diff. Whether the tires can actually use that is another issue.

Problem is OP has not said what the car is used for. My R200 has a OE S15 torsen type diff and I love it, mainly used for time attack type races. But, but, the suspension has to be set up with one aim in mind, which is that both rear wheels must always stay on the deck. For ordinary street use they do beautiful smokey twin lines no problem :D