HybridZ

POR 15 Top Coat

jacob80

Hey guys,

I recently painted my engine bay with POR 15 and plan to leave it black until I have all the components installed. I then plan to pull it out and paint it body color thereafter.

The engine bay will be black until I gather enough funds to have it sprayed body color.

This would be all fine and dandy, however, I've noticed that, since POR 15 is UV sensitive, the paint has become inconsistent. Some parts are streaky flat black and some are gloss and quite honestly, it looks like crap.

So, my question is: What is an affordable top coat paint that I can put over my POR 15 until I have body color sprayed?

If it was me I'd leave it until it was time to get it colour sprayed, it's a pain in the ass to topcoat POR 15 once it's cured. Best way is to dust coat the primer over it as soon as it's flashed, if it's fully cured then you have to sand it meticulously before spraying anything over it. I don't think the discolouration affects the sealing properties of POR 15, it just looks a bit strange.

Edited by morbias

You messed up at the planning stage. A good plan would go like this. Pull the motor, jam out the engine bay, if you had to you could put the engine back in, then paint the body. Simple right? People over complicate the process. In and out with the motor after each step isnt a good idea and wasted effort. Read the cans. Yes por 15 and other sealers are broken down by UV and other erosion. You are using it outside its intended use and are unhappy with the results. You are just creating more work. Now the sealer and the metal are compromised. That means the labor and cost you already have in it is mostly a waste. Stop working at it. Start getting it done. Get a solid plan together to knock it out. Or you will be chasing your tail. Good luck.

If it was me I'd leave it until it was time to get it colour sprayed, it's a pain in the ass to topcoat POR 15 once it's cured. Best way is to dust coat the primer over it as soon as it's flashed, if it's fully cured then you have to sand it meticulously before spraying anything over it. I don't think the discolouration affects the sealing properties of POR 15, it just looks a bit strange.

POR 15 does require some thought in application. I left mine z in POR for 7 years out in the sun... it did change color. POR sells a filler primer called "TieCoat" which you can spray or brush directly on cured POR 15 and then apply any color coat you wish. If you go this route be sure you wash, dry, and other wise really clean the surface before you apply TieCoat. I painted my Z with TieCoat over POR 15 and then left it out in the low desert sun for another 5 years. I did have some small delamination between Tie Coat and POR 15 in areas that I were difficult to reach to clean. I am now sandblasting two fenders as preparation for body work; POR stands up quite well to the HF gavity feed blaster I'm using.

g