HybridZ

280z Turbo timing.

I recently converted my stock low miles 77 280z engine to turbo using the ZXT harness and ECU. My question is I know stock turbo timing is 20* BTDC and stock NA timing is 10* BTDC, but since my motor is higher compression ratio then the stock turbo motor would that affect what I should set my base timing at. Also I have searched around but can't seem to find what the full timing curve is under boost. Any help would be appreciated, My car runs ok but seems to have a small misfire I believe is do to off timing and improper set TPS.

A little off topic but has to do with the same swap. Since my motor is the stock 77 280z motor it does not have a spot for the CHTS like on the ZX, only the Coolant Temp Sensor. AS of right now I have the CHTS wiring plugged into my CTS, Is this going to affect anything?

Run the timing at 20.the timing curve is programmed into the ecm.You can test the difference between a temp sender and a chts with an ohmeter and a pot of hot water.some of the l series engines had lower thermostat housings the coud be drilled and tapped for 2 sensors.my car has the stock temp sensor for the gauges and a gm sensor for my aftermarket efi system.All of the threads are standard pipe thread-you can by taps at a hardware store.If you are running the oem 77 injectors you are running lean.If you are going to run this setup for awhile I would get some new injectors.Used injectors wont flow evenly across a set of 6 and a lean cylinder will preignite.I ran complete 81zxt engine/computor in my 77 for a long time.It ran very well.But when I installed it I replaced the injectors and other iffy parts while doing the install.After the install had the bugs ran out of it it was fun to drive-not alot of peak horsepower but it made boost very fast and had good torque.

Edited by randy 77zt

Thanks for the reply. As for the injectors I am running stock turbo injectors, I swapped everything from my turbo donor car to my 77Z aside from the block and head. So everything on it is turbo. As it sits now I think it is running ok with using the coolant temp Sensor, it pulls hard in boost but kinda bogs out of boost. I know my O2 Sensor is bad and I may need to adjust my TPS which could be causing the bog.