HybridZ

70-72 240z or 280z with L28ET?

Hi, still on my search for a original 70-72 240Z. I was recently offered a '78 280Z with a L28DET, moulded body kit(which I hate), upgraded interior. The car looks great except for the kit. The car has a L28det with an intercooler and tuned by Z sport automotive. I know the 240Z is the lightest one out of them all.

My main purpose was to get an all original 240z within a certain price range, and just keep it for a while and not lose money on it, while I drive it =-). Unfortunately I keep coming up on alot of modded ones.

Share your opinions!!

Thanks!

Edited by hatepotholez

I don't think it has a dual cam.....you mean L28et.

What exactly are your intentions for the car?

Not lose money while you drive it is almost impossible, unless you have like 3 Z's that you can alternate between. These are 40 yr old cars, stuff breaks, rust happens, you want to mod etc...

I would only buy a modded one if it looked electrically sound and ran like a top for more than 4 hours with starting and stopping, quick runs to the 7-11 across town, stayed cool at long stop lights etc.

I'd rather have as close to an unmolested one as I could though, as long as the body and electrical are good.

Edited by BluDestiny

Really the weight difference once you take off the bumpers isn't that much between the S30 versions. Yes the 280 has a little heavier components, but that's done to improve performance. If you're going to be upgrading things adding coilovers and a 5x speed then You're not going to be much different in weight either. The R200 in the 280 is heavier sure, but it can take all the abuse you can throw at it as compared to the R180 in the 240. There were a heck of a lot more 280z's made than the 240's so you'll likely be able to pick one up in decent shape w/o too much worry. and if that one you found already is setup and reliable, then I'd say go for it. it's your car.. Besides, why not be like me, and have both... My 280Z is my Project swap vehicle, and my 240' is my project restore 70' 240Z. both are fun, and neither is running/finished :wink:

Phar

I don't think it has a dual cam.....you mean L28et.

What exactly are your intentions for the car?

Not lose money while you drive it is almost impossible, unless you have like 3 Z's that you can alternate between. These are 40 yr old cars, stuff breaks, rust happens, you want to mod etc...

I would only buy a modded one if it looked electrically sound and ran like a top for more than 4 hours with starting and stopping, quick runs to the 7-11 across town, stayed cool at long stop lights etc.

I'd rather have as close to an unmolested one as I could though, as long as the body and electrical are good.

I want to enjoy it and not get burned in the end like I did with my IROC and VR4, when I took a HUGE loss.

The real clean one's are near impossible.