HybridZ

240Z front on a Late 260Z?

I'm really considering buying a late 260z (1979)I really wanted a 240Z but I'm hoping I can still do everything I want on a 260Z, I'll just have to spend longer looking for the correct parts to fit it.

$(KGrHqYOKnEE7ELwvgVHBO)9rMCHo!~~_12.JPG

However the one thing I don't like about it is the front, I want my indicators to be under the headlights, not in the middle of the bumper. I want my front end to look the example below so I was wondering if its possible to convert my front end so that it looks like that, is it possible to run a 240Z buper/airdam/indicators on a late 260Z?

wats070sized.jpg

This is really the only thing putting me off the car so would be great to know what I can do about it, I tried having a look on the forum but I'm still new to here so not so good at finding the info I want.

Also as this is a very late 260Z does that mean it will be as heavy as a 280Z or will it be the same as earlier 260Z's? I don't want it to weight any more than 1100kg when I'm done.

Heres a few more photos of my prospective buy:

$(KGrHqFHJ!sE63KsnD3yBO)9rL3IZg~~_12.JPG

$(KGrHqV,!lME64+Fq4yiBO)9rLzwU!~~_12.JPG

$(KGrHqJ,!l!E65EDp-U,BO)9rLrlRw~~_12.JPG

$(KGrHqVHJBME63Uw3)jSBO)9rL0HcQ~~_12.JPG

Any help very appreciated.

First off, cosmetics is real simple. You want to look like austins zed no problem. All you gotta do is buy 240z turn signals (perhaps on ebay someone may have them) or source them out if possible in Ireland. Its pretty simple but you might have to get a new air dam that has the 240z slots to house the turn signals. The wiring should be the same or similar.

Try searching the site it has plenty of resources. That z looks magnificent, I would buy it and spend some money on the parts you need. You can easily sell your old parts as well.

Plenty of people have done what you have, get the turn signals, the air dam, and you should be set :) Hopefully a 260z owner with the conversion can chime in. Im going to do the same for my 280z, all I need is the air dam and turn signals.

I am not an expert on the European Spec 260Z. Here in the United States, the 260Z was only available in 1974. The early '74 260Z was more like the later 240Z in that it had the narrow bumpers and floor supports that only extended under the driver's set. The later 260Z had the wide bumpers and extra structure in the frame, doors and floor pan.

I knew that the 260Z had a longer life span in Europe than in the US, but I assumed that it was just a later 280Z with a smaller engine. I guess I was wrong. Just looking at your pictures, that car looks more like an early US spec 260Z, and as such all of the 240Z sheetmetal should be compatable. I would be interested in seeing pictures from underneath and from inside the rear hatch area.

That's a great looking 260. If it were me, I wouldn't hesitate to buy that car.

I've converted a few 260's and 280's to having 240 air dams and turn signals. It's not difficult at all to do, but depends on which air dam you're trying to mount. If you use the air dam like on Austin's car, it's very easy and may not require any modifications. I put that same type of air dam on a 280 several years ago and don't recall having to cut anything. I've also installed Kaminari air dams (like the one in my sig below) on 260's and 280's and that required trimming some metal here and there.

Looking at the pics of the 260 you're interested in, I don't think you'll have to do much to get the look you desire. Get the air dam you want and try to mount it up. If anything looks like it'll prevent you from mounting it easily, break out the grinder, but only trim what you have to trim. It looks like the lower valence on that car already has indentions where 240 lights would mount if you were willing to cut the proper openings.

It already has the skinny bumpers, so you're most of the way there with the look you want..

Thanks for the replys, I'm glad to hear that I'll be able to get the front end looking how I want.

If I get the car I'd want to go for a front airdam like the one below so hopefully I could get it to fit.

http://www.zcarsource.com/uimages/product_photos/bodyparts/3124.jpg

I am not an expert on the European Spec 260Z. Here in the United States, the 260Z was only available in 1974. The early '74 260Z was more like the later 240Z in that it had the narrow bumpers and floor supports that only extended under the driver's set. The later 260Z had the wide bumpers and extra structure in the frame, doors and floor pan.

I knew that the 260Z had a longer life span in Europe than in the US, but I assumed that it was just a later 280Z with a smaller engine. I guess I was wrong. Just looking at your pictures, that car looks more like an early US spec 260Z, and as such all of the 240Z sheetmetal should be compatable. I would be interested in seeing pictures from underneath and from inside the rear hatch area.

In Europe the 260Z was in production untill 1978, I think the one I'm looking at must have been made in 1978 but only first registered in 1979.

I've got no photos of underneath, but heres one from inside the rear hatch:

datsun-260z-coupe-1890925233-640x480.jpg

That definitely looks more an early US spec 260Z than it does a 280Z. It's got the small covers on top of the strut towers, and doesn't seem to have the raised deck in the rear. Are the bumpers mounted with shock absorbers, or are they attached to the frame with brackets?

The only problem I see is that someone put the steering column on the wrong side of the car. It would feel strange operating the gear shifter with my left hand.

Good find. I would definitely get that car. It looks to be very solid.

Edited by 74_5.0L_Z

EF Ian

Briefly...I have seen this car for sale in the UK and it looks OK, but needs a proper look over (if you have not done so) as the European S30 was very prone to rust. However it looks good. I try and focus my knowledge on European late 260z's (as I own one). The registration year is a bit of a guide only, chassis number would tell me. For instance, I owned a 1977 (built) that was not registered until Feb 1980 and substantially younger (chassis number wise) than my current one. The European late 260z is nothing like a North American 280z, being probably the pinnacle of the export S30 SERIES (in terms of overall handling/power/drivabilty/interior comfort in standard form). The European 240z and 260z have an interchangeable front body parts/ bumpers/ indicators generally speaking, but may have slight differences.

I hope that helps,

Cheers

Ian

Thanks for the info, want to learn as much as I can.

The car looks as good as I've seen, the guy has decided to keep it for a while longer however I'm going to look at it when I'm home next (I work away from home) and I'll check it out properly before buying it. It was restored when the previous owner had it so hopefully whoever did it did a good job on it. If it turns out to be good I'd really love to buy it and get it how I want it.

Good to hear that the body parts should be mostly interchangeable, also good that the driveability and handling are good although I plan to massively improve the suspension, chassis and brakes anyway.