HybridZ

240z as a daily?

I daily'd my 73 240z with original motor, no ac, no working air, no radio, broken original seats, blown rear struts, leaking water in the rain, and cabin exhaust fumes that had been sitting for years before I got it every day putting some days almost 200 miles on it out in the middle of no where in 95+ degree weather and never did it let me down. I did have to replace some very old parts that failed / needed servicing but nothing major and nothing that left me on the side of the road.

Drove it for 8 months straight as my only car before I got a jeep and decided to tear it apart and fix her up.

I am currently dailying a 76' 280z. It needs some work. Floor pans, oddly, are in pretty great condition compared to some of the horror stories I've seen around these parts. Not to say there isn't hidden gold rust nuggets. Heater works, but not to the proper vents. No glove box door. Well I should say, there is a door, but the hinge is broken so it doesn't stay connected. A lot of the wiring has been jerry rigged for some other purpose. Other than that I drive it every day, to and back from school, and just about everywhere else. So far it has been a few problems, but I've gotten the major ones sorted away. I feel like I'll being hanging onto her for a long time to come.

I drive my 78' 280z daily, it takes me about about 30 minutes to get to school and from there another 20 to get to my girlfriend's house. I live in Memphis so it really only snows once or twice a year. The car only had 50,000 miles when I bought it but sat for 20 years. Something goes wrong about every two weeks to a month. Engine blew, starter went out, multiple problems with the AC and heater , clutch hydraulics, radiator, transmission syncros, just to name a few off the top of my head. If you want to daily drive an S30 my best advice is don't go cheap and buy a Z that has been moderately restored and is already either daily or regularly driven. You can get a very nice Z for a price that is way less than the average new car. If and when you have problems these cars are very easy to get parts for and very simple to fix.

Edited by MidnightRider

Drove my red 70' daily for about 11 years and continued quite abit even after I bought a Maxima. Kept the Z and also added another 260 and ended up driving all 3 cars in my business as chase cars for picking up customers salon serviced cars.

It was nice to hear from the customers that they liked the look of the vintage Z's parked at their home/business driveways. They were in really nice shape however and I kept them VERY clean and shiny with some cool wheels.

As far as making them a reliable car for daily commutes....all I did was to run synthetic fluids on a monthly inspection of the carbs and other mechanical bits. They were VERY easy to maintain and I was NEVER stranded or in need of a tow.

Comfort wise....I did add Recaro seats to the 70' and Momo steering wheels to both along with better pedals and shift knobs. Even later power windows and a turbo engine and trans. It never ends,lol. I still have them today....some decades later.B)

I bought a Z that had been sitting in a field broke down a mile from where I bought it. Got it home swapped in a p79/f54 l28 from the junkyard with unknown miles using roundtop carbs and got it driving within a week and daily drove it from fall to spring. Sure it caught fire, the brakes went out twice, the interior was gutted, had electrical issues, but everything I could fix in a day and it never left me stranded and was quick and seriously fun to drive in the mountain roads.

Granted I did have a stockpile of parts to work with mostly the motor and brake parts otherwise the car did me good.