HybridZ

Coil over springs knock, knock, knocking on my nerves!

Coil over springs knock, knock, knocking on my nerves! I keep hearing a noise when I go over bumps. I thought it was because the struts have not insulator on top. But when I did brake work I found the sleeves wearing like crazy. Is that making the noise? What to do?

post-338-009169100 1329708190_thumb.jpg

post-338-092335300 1329708200_thumb.jpg

post-338-011998500 1329708209_thumb.jpg

Mine show a little similar wear on the sleeve, but it doesn't cause any noise, or any problem at all. Make sure your springs are seated correctly on the top seats when you lower car off jacks. For the knocking, I'd look at gland nut tighness and top strut rod to insulator nut tightness. Finally, if gland nut is screwed all the way in, it is possible that your strut tubes are too short and are bouncing around inside the strut tube. You'll need a spacer under the strut insert to tighten it up (often just a few fender washers). Checking the gland nut tighness and the top bolt are pretty easy, the first you do with a channel locks, the second you can do by bouncing the fender (like rocking the bolt) and looking for movement of the top nut in relation to the insulator. If the gland nut is bottomed out, you gotta pull it all down and start over-a big job. What kind of bushings do you have? The alumium/delrin offset bushings can be pretty loud. I switched back to poly/rubber because it sounded like my car was falling apart with the metal bushings. Let us all know what solution you find successful.

PS-BEAUTIFUL CAR.

Edited by RebekahsZ

That's a normal wear pattern on a coil over sleeve when the upper and lower spring perches are fixed. The spring actually bends/warps a bit and rubs on the sleeve. Adding this kit for each spring will eliminate the problem but you will have to disassemble, clean, and re grease these bearings every couple months.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/QA1-Coil-Over-Thrust-Bearing-Kit,6001.html

So I dropped the suspension and pulled the strut tube out. The cap looked tight upon disassembly. The bottom of the shock was a little beat. I check the gland nut thread they were good. I checked the tube and found a slightly damaged thread or two. Cleaned the threads and LO AND BEHOLD THE GLAND NUT WENT DOWN ANOTHER ROUND!!! When for a drive, NO KNOCK! Unbelievable. Thanks RebekahsZ you hit the nail on the head.