HybridZ

what trim to use on To4e-50

BrandonR.

I have an l28 n/a turbo conversion in my 260z i cant find what turbine trim was used on the stock 280zx turbos i know they had a .63 a/r housing but im trying to match a new To4e for it as it sounds like the turbine is rubbing the housing or maby coked bearing.but noone posts what exact a/r and trim to use on the compressor and turbine so far iv pulled that a T04e with 50 trim comp. and .63 a/r turbine housing? is best for the l28 engine but what size compressor housing and what trim exhaust turbine.

Any help on that would be great. Plans for now are to run the same psi which i think i've only seen ~5psi on the gauge untill i can upgrade the ecu which i think is a n/a ecu as well runs amazing just would like to upgrade the turbo while im replacing it Thanks for any help.

I think you have all the information you need already. T3/TO4E 50 trim, with the .63 A/R turbine. Both compressor and turbine are fully specified. That is a good turbo to use, but the compressor will interfere with the intake unless you space it off the manifold.

The stock T3 has a .63 A/R turbine, and a 60 trim compressor (T3), but it sounds like you want the hybrid turbo. I am using a TO4B V trim compressor on a stock turbine, and it fits with no spacer.

Thanks for the reply i just dont want to get the wrong turbo i just dont know what would be better for these turbos. hard to explain say i have a T04e with 50 trim what a/r is going to be the most efficent for the l28 as i dont want to get a T04e 50 trim with a .72 a/r housing on the compressor side if i shoulda had a 50 trim with a .70a/r cold side.

For the Turbine side with the .63 a/r housing i have seen 57 trims 70 trims i just dont want to get too big of a turbine for the application nor do i want it to not spool because i went too big on the a/r housing for the compressor?

T04e-50trim Compressor with what a/r.. and WITH the .63 a/r Turbine housing with what trim

Trying to keep the powerband around the same rpm or a few lower with out having to buy a new turbo if i need more power thanks for any and all info im sure ppl on here are tired of answering what turbo to use but im just lacking 2 numbers for deciding on what to use if you know what Trim the stock Turbine is that would answer half my problem thanks again,B

I do understand the 50trim compressor and.63a/r turbine but unless it a 50trim .50a/r compressor and 63trim .63 a/r Turbine then i only have half the info i need according to the company i called. Iv searched for turbos came up with T04E-50trim .49a/r cold side and .63a/r 68trim hot side i would think a .49a/r compressor housing would be quite small for a L28 and having the wheel trim being more than 70trim on the exhaust may be to open for the exhaust flow on the stock cam ill have to research some turbo maps. What if the specs were the same on both sides say( 50 trim .63a/r compressor side and 50 trim .63a/r Turbins side ) would this be a useable turbo in any way?? Any input. Company i called told me that

" T04e-50 .63a/r only described what size Turbine housing it uses.63 and what "pitch" the "fins" are on the compressor wheel are 50 trim " they told me they need the compressor housing size or a/r and the Trim of the turbine wheel. I figured i would be good with just the T04E-50 .63a/r but guess not??

Which of these turbos would be better for l28e,n42 head,3"exhaust from turbo back, 60mm TB(to come)

1) T04E-50 trim wheel and .60a/r housing(compressor side) With a 57 trim wheel and .63a/r housing (turbine side)

2) T04E-50 trim .50a/r(comp) With a 73 trim .63a/r Turbine side

Im thinking the (1)first turbo mentioned with the 50trim compressor and .60/.63 a/r housings would be fine for what I want.(((( What exhaust Turbine wheel trim would work for the L28 a 50, 57, or 73 turbine wheel trim?)))

Anyone running a similar turbo or can say what trim would be best for that turbo I know Im running in circles but its better to measure twice and cut once then waste money better spent on something else. Thanks,B

• 6 months later...

Did you ever choose what t4 you were going to use. Just curious what turbine size (a/r) you went with. I have a TO4E 50-trim .63 ar compressor side with a 77 trim .96 ar turbine side. Is this a good match for an L series turbo engine to you? Im thinking the turbine housing is a bit too big?

FYI

The stock T3 was 0.48 A/R Turbine Side on the L20ET (JDM) - 145HP

The stock T3 was 0.63 A/R Turbine Side on the L28ET (North American Market) - 180 HP

The stock T3 was 0.82 A/R Turbine Side on the L28ET (Eurospec) - 200 HP

FROM FORENSIC DISASSEMBLY, ALL THESE TURBOCHARGERS USED THE SAME CENTER CARTRIDGE, HOT SIDE WHEEL, COMPRESSOR WHEEL, AND COMPRESSOR HOUSING (AND HOUSING A/R)

Edited by Tony D

So what you guys are saying is that all I need to do is take the compressor side of the t4 and slap it to the turbine side of my stock t3 which has a .63 a/r turbine housing? Awesome! Super! Good to know!!! I know what Im doing tonight!!!!

That's the setup I have run for years, and I love it. Not gobs of power, but enough to hit the 12s with a stock engine, and it's very streetable.

Edited by SleeperZ

I was using a Z31 ECU and Mustang SVO injectors coupled with a modified MAF sensor. Boost set to 16 psi, with an intercooler, of course. I dynoed this setup to a corrected 313hp, 400ft-lb torque, and the AFR was solid at 13:1, leaner than what I would consider now with MegaSquirt. My car is also not light at 2700lbs. The best time was 12.87 @ 110, about a 1.9 60'.

Sweet, sounds like Ill be happy with the setup. I love telling people my hp numbers (I have only ### hp....but i have 100 more ftlbs of torque!!!) But anyways...... oopsy, my compressor wheel wouldnt come off the shaft. Long story short, trashed that chra. I was wondering if I can hog out the stock t3 turbine housing to fit the t4 turbine? At a machine shop of course, but I was wondering how they get the radius in there? Can I even bore out the t3 housing that much? The t4 turbine housing is 2.573 inches vs the stock 1.970.

Profiling a housing is a simple matter with a 5Axis Tracer. A few plots along the blade profile, then 120 & 240 degrees for a diameter fix and input to a machining center to do the cutting: viola! Mismatched housing now matched!

I just got some paperwork, and if it didn't obtain proprietary work stuff I could post a graphic of this exact process ( which is how we check machined rotors at work before certifying or assembly to a particular build.)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, its finished. I machined the turbine housing myself and radiused it the best I could on the lathe, but ultimately I had to massage the radius with a dremel as it barely scraped in that area and left a bit of machinist dye in the area of the blades. Spins freely without noise now so it SHOULD work. (Crosses fingers) So a T04E-50 trim turbo with a t04E exhaust wheel in a .63 a/r exhaust housing should be able to break 400 hp with a spoolup by 3000 rpm eh?