HybridZ

Buying a 350 280z

I am currently trying to buy a 280z with a 350 small block. has a few problems.

350 small block truck bottom

64cc angle plug heads

small cam

aluminum intake

carb 780 vacuum secondary

turbo 400 stock

stock 1976 280z auto rear diff (3.54)

rear tires are 225/70/14

apparently he saids the gear run out at 50?...he said is just the tires ....what could be reason behind this. I really want this car, but i need to figure out what is making this problem occur. thanks

Have you driven it to see for yourself?

As I'm sure you know, the TH400 (like the 350) is not an overdrive tranny....3rd gear is 1.0. Which SUCKS on the highway, especially when you've got a torquey motor in a light car, and could cruise along at 1800 rpm IF you only had the right gearing.

Maybe that's what the current owner is referring to?? It's not the tires...225/70/14 gives you 26.4" rolling diameter....entirely within the range of acceptable.

I guess another possibility is that the tranny is so thrashed that it's slipping horrendously?

The 700-r4 and 200-4r are both very popular set-ups in the V8 Z's. Check out the "Drivetrain" sub-forum...

P.S. If you're planning on mostly race duty (especially straight-line stuff), the 400 might be great for you. All depends on your specific application for the car. Good luck.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...