HybridZ

Snapped off bolt head

Ben's Z

Not an expert on Turbos by any means. I have what I believe is a stock T3 from a 83 280zx for my S30 swap. I wanted to have my turbo housing ceramic coated. While I was disassembling the bolted on parts to my 83 engine I thought I would try to separate the turbo from the intake and exhaust sides. I snapped the head off the bolt. What should I do now? Toss it? Take it somewhere? There was no end play on the shaft. 160k on the car. Only want 250 to 270 rwhp when done. Was told that Turbo would suffice. Thoughts? Leave it busted? Ceramic coating a waste of money?

A machine shop can get it out. Same thing happened to me, but mine came out by using a left handed cobalt drill bit. Once it bottomed out the broke off part came right out. Broken bolt extraction is not an ideal novice project when its on a valuable part.

Here's a thread in which I asked about the same thing. I gathered that all would be fine leaving a bolt head snapped off. I however have not run the turbo yet to verify.

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/103495-will-i-regret-not-fixing-this/page__pid__973513#entry973513

As for your power goals...the FAQ's have that answered already, and yes 250whp is okay for the stock turbo. If you wanna go higher eventually though then the turbo is not gonna live a long time. May as well save on ceramic coating to purchase a T3/T4 hybrid and be able to have all the (reasonable) power you want in the future.

My $0.02

How much are t3/t4 hybrids? I have heard about guys peddling crap on ebay. Mounting a hybrid to the stock exhaust manifold is pretty easy correct?

Here's a thread in which I asked about the same thing. I gathered that all would be fine leaving a bolt head snapped off. I however have not run the turbo yet to verify.

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/103495-will-i-regret-not-fixing-this/page__pid__973513#entry973513

As for your power goals...the FAQ's have that answered already, and yes 250whp is okay for the stock turbo. If you wanna go higher eventually though then the turbo is not gonna live a long time. May as well save on ceramic coating to purchase a T3/T4 hybrid and be able to have all the (reasonable) power you want in the future.

My $0.02

• 2 weeks later...

Im with boardkid. Unless it's a showcar coating it is a waste of money. Id honestly just grind it flush and run high temp silicone. If all the other bolts came out and are fine, it'll work just fine. Running a chaser through the other holes and running new bolts is a good idea on those old turbos too. Good luck!