HybridZ

Toyota Brake Swap Help needed!

I have gone through the FAQ and pinned lists but somehow a bit lost. Please bear with me as we dont get these here easily so I got the stuff shipped from US so when problem comes it seems a bit more.

I got this front brake kit of ebay and thought its stage4 from silvermine motors?

Now I have following issue,

1. cant fix the brakes pads, even after fitting one pad wheel is stuck? I am thinking of cutting 1mm off both the pads it might fit. One thing I think is the calipers are not for vented rotors?

2. Is the spacer placed right?

3. I have 15 X 8.5 -9mm and seems to be clearing the caliper hardly but doesnt look like fitting the hub properly. The hig core of the wheels is standard 72 or 72.5mm? The wheel is touching the suspension parts as well :( . Can anyone guide me if there are any specific spacers for sale which clear the whole hub as shape of hub is different

Thanks

Pictures

Cant fit pads, Which calipers are these which clear vented rotors or which doesnt

alain2012022800666.jpg

alain2012022800667.jpg

Is spacer placement ok?

alain2012022800669.jpg

Back clearance

alain2012022800675.jpg

Hub through the wheels seems like wheel is not inline with the hub cant push more

alain2012022800678.jpg

The correct calipers are stamped S12W or S12+8. If you can fit the caliper around the vented rotor (with or without pads) I'm pretty sure youve got the right ones.

The spacer goes between the hub and rotor, it looks correct.

The wheel hitting the tie rod is not surprising. Your bumpsteer spacer is too thick to be used with that size of a wheel (I had the same issue). Moving the wheel farther out with a wheel spacer would probably be the easiest way to fix that for you. You could also machine the bumpsteer spacer thinner( or remove it altogether).

Edited by h4nsm0l3m4n

Those look like the wrong pads for the calipers.... Are the pin hole location is in the wrong spots.... pads just prob too thick.. I have this setup and would have to find my pads box to tell u what kind to use... But you should be able to find in search....

Edited by gearheadstik

You are suffering from the Dominoe Effect that is often initiated by a brake "upgrade." With bumpsteer steering spacers, I would go to 16" wheels. My 15" wheels scrape on the outer tie rod end grease zerk. My 16s have plenty of clearance. Otherwise, you gotta ditch the bumpsteer spacers, which really doesn't hurt anything if your suspension is good and stiff. Measure what type of adjustment you need compared to your current wheels and order some new ones. It will make your life a lot easier. I have found that with stock hubs without spacers, the max wheel back spacing I can tolerate is 4.75 inches. Good luck.

Get some jack stands - you seem like a nice person - I'd hate to see you in the obituaries.

Edited by RebekahsZ

The correct calipers are stamped S12W or S12+8. If you can fit the caliper around the vented rotor (with or without pads) I'm pretty sure youve got the right ones.

The spacer goes between the hub and rotor, it looks correct.

The wheel hitting the tie rod is not surprising. Your bumpsteer spacer is too thick to be used with that size of a wheel (I had the same issue). Moving the wheel farther out with a wheel spacer would probably be the easiest way to fix that for you. You could also machine the bumpsteer spacer thinner( or remove it altogether).

I will check the stamp but im quiet sure its Toyota calipers which one to be exact will find out. So does that mean I wouldnt be able to fix the drilled rotor at all in the caliper which is for stock rotors?

The rotor is fitting nicely, its just pads are a bit thick.

Those look like the wrong pads for the calipers.... Are the pin hole location is in the wrong spots.... pads just prob too thick.. I have this setup and would have to find my pads box to tell u what kind to use... But you should be able to find in search....

Please let me know if you can find the part number :)

Picture of 4/89-7/91 S12-W Toyota caliper with correct pads.

Thanks

Here's a great big pic of the S12+8 calipers with the right pad setup for reference...

lubepoints.JPG

I'd check the pads, plus check the caliper to see if it even says s12 on the side anywhere.

If you need new pads, I just look for 1983 toyota pickup 4wd and they come right up.

As I said up there will check it today once goto the workshop

You are suffering from the Dominoe Effect that is often initiated by a brake "upgrade." With bumpsteer steering spacers, I would go to 16" wheels. My 15" wheels scrape on the outer tie rod end grease zerk. My 16s have plenty of clearance. Otherwise, you gotta ditch the bumpsteer spacers, which really doesn't hurt anything if your suspension is good and stiff. Measure what type of adjustment you need compared to your current wheels and order some new ones. It will make your life a lot easier. I have found that with stock hubs without spacers, the max wheel back spacing I can tolerate is 4.75 inches. Good luck.

Get some jack stands - you seem like a nice person - I'd hate to see you in the obituaries.

I will check first for the spacers else will trim the bumpsteer.

Another question for you guys is, does all the Japanese 15" and 16" wheels have similar issue of center bolt coming out of the wheel. And anyone has any idea where can I get spacers as centerbore size looks really big then standrar 66.1mm or 72mm