HybridZ

Rear 240sx conversion clearance

Hello i have a question about rim clearance on the rear disc conversion. what does the inside clearance of the rim have to be for the conversion? i have 14 inch rims and was wondering if i have to upgrade to 15 or 16 inches. I looked through about 20 posts hoping i could find info on it, but no luck. So i was hoping someone could chime in on the subject. i have about 13.65 inches(give or take quarter inch) of inside space of my rims. Could i possible get away with this if i grind the rims and top of caliper down a tad bit? so i could put off buying rims and tires for the moment being

:o Don't shave down the rim... that could end really badly. If the 240sx kit is anything like the other disk conversions, it will be an issue of the caliper face hitting the rim spokes. You sound like you should have plenty of clearance seeing as how a lot of 15" rims have about that much space. I'd reccomend emailing modern motorsport and asking them. Or opt for the 280zx/maxima kit which uses a smaller rotor but does have larger pistons. If you're planning on getting rims later on anyways, why not wait till you can do both and then you don't have to make a kit fit for the time being when you could have gone for a bigger rotor (more power) in the end? Or try and sell your current 14's in favor of some 15 or 16" xxr's (cheap and nor horrible) and some inexpensive tires? Edited by luseboy

I have this conversion and the 15" 280zx Swastikas and they barely clear, like maybe a few mm's at most. I don't think 14's will work at all, but I'll get a measurement later today for you (and anyone who happens across this thread).

I have this conversion and the 15" 280zx Swastikas and they barely clear, like maybe a few mm's at most. I don't think 14's will work at all, but I'll get a measurement later today for you (and anyone who happens across this thread).

Namor: did you use the modern motorsports bracket?

Namor: did you use the modern motorsports bracket?

Yep, I got some good measurements. I have about 2mm clearance with my wheels, I measured the inner diameter of my wheels and found them to be about 13 1/8" where they are the closest. Going by that, you are looking at about a minimum of 13" (and at that, you would be able to mount but you would certainly rub)