HybridZ

Speedi Sleeve

madkaw

• 2 weeks later...

Ummm, I know what a Speedi sleeve is and how it works and yes I have seen that video.

What I need is a measurement !!!!!!

Doh! That was not directed to you. That was for the others who were like me!

Edited by JSM

• 1 month later...

Well my first attempt at the speedi sleeve was a failure. I did get a set of mics and checked the size and it was in the limits of the sleeve. The instructions stated to use a non-hardening sealant on the ID of the sleeve before installing-and I think that's what did me in. It took too much force to install the sleeve and I bent the flange on the sleeve trying to get it on. I used permatex #2 non-hardening, but I think it was too thick even though I thought I put it on thin. This caused too much interference and too tight a tolerance for the thin flange. So I guess I will order another one-maybe two just in case. I am having the worse time with something so simple as the rear main.

Any suggestions? I thought about preheating the sleeve with a heat gun to give me wiggle room, but not sure if the sealant would like that. Maybe a thinner type sealant?

I have reread the instructions for the speedi sleeve and they recommend using Loctite 209? I think they meant Loctite 290, which is the green loctite. I think a liquid type sealer would be best in this close tolerance situation, even though I'm not sure if I classify the green loctite as a sealer. The description by Loctite does say sealer/thread locker, so I imagine it would do the job. I guess you would pay hell getting it off if you ever had to!!

I believe someone (me) mentioned Loctite RC608Cylindrical Parts Locker

Permatex#2 is a no no, total misapplication, it's a flange sealant...and a poor one at that!

The heat will leave your sleeve as fast as you put it into it, and chances are good you will overheat it locally, warp and ruin it.

Removing a speedy sleeve put on with green locking compound is a piece of cake: 1100F heat gun (or even a crackheads torch) aimed at the sleeve will turn it red hot, and buckle it almost instantly-grab an edge with a needle nose pliers and tear it off the shaft like theseal on a sardine or ham tin.

I've installed a few of these in my time... And removed just as many!

If you must have differential, go to Albertsons or your Linde / Welding supply and get 5# of dry ice. Pack your flange and freeze the hell out of it! That will give you far more working time due to retention than heating the sleeved ever will.