HybridZ

5.0 SWAP BASICS - a JTR supplement!!

Guest tom sixbey

Guest tom sixbey

can someone who's had success creating a well-balanced 5.0 swap post up the basic differences between their work and the JTR chevy swap? - ive read the jtr book many times, but i'm starting to think about a 5.0 due to the light weight.. - we really need to come up with an "add-on" for the JTR book that would describe the ford swap process.. - please, somebody - post away!

What do you mean by well balanced? My 302 is externally balanced (LOL). There are a very few of us that have done this swap, and I think a different approach was taken on each one being no "kit" exists (that I know of) for this. I'm sure "we'll" be glad to answer any questions. As far as the tranny part, I am currently re-installing my T5 due to a minor problem with the hydraulic T/O bearing, and this time I will document all the parts fabricated/purchased with photos for future questions.

Terry

yes we have all done it slightly different.

to date there are 4 running and one in process (mine)

Dan - FI 5L blue 240 in Fla)bone stock

AL - carbed-240, with the Psteering

Bernard- 280 with injected 5L

Terry- the least stock of the pack.

Dans mounts go between x-member and frame, havent seen Bernards (FIRE) .

ALsils are likely the easiest to copy. mine are similar to his but different design. they locate of the frame rail as well and bolt thru.

as for a kit- its VERY complicated when compared to the JTR chevy . the chevy doesnt require welding but this does 4 sure.

not sure what Bernard did for steering but both Dan and I used a heim and a additional universal to relocate the steering shaft to clear the headers.

in this regard Dan is the pioneer- first one i heard of that got a injected 5L running.

i am copying the way he did the tranny as well with tilton 61.601 and 61.612 bearing and sleeve with 7/8" master for the clutch.

i am painting mine engine comp today and hope to be installing the motor 4 the 5th time on the weekend..will take pics as it goes together. and then onto the wiring.....

Guest tom sixbey

thanks for the replies guys - hey terry, i'm currently in school at UofM myself - where's your son going to school? My parents live in texarkana, so i pass through little rock a lot myself on the way there (in fact i'm in texarkana right now!) when i finally get started on a zcar, i'll have to drive by and show it to you. - oh BTW i meant to say weight distribution when i said "well balanced" - sorry for not being more clear...

take it easy fellas...

[ July 12, 2001: Message edited by: tom sixbey ]

Guest firebern

I have the stock steering I used F150 manifolds not headers. My goal was to make this the cheap and easy way. Here's a list of what I had to buy:

Hi Volume fuel pump(55gph from Holley),

used 88 F150 + 64 Comet manifolds,

Crown Victoria water pump,

Short serpentine Belt,

flex lite 15 inch fan,

manifold gaskets,

some wire connectors

and...

A **** LOAD OF SCREWS AND SCRAP METAL!!!

Later,

Fire.

Guest tom sixbey

thanks for the response firebern - could you tell me how built your motor is and how fast your going? - i've heard a pretty stock 5.0 and T5 will propel an early z to a 13.2!

Guest firebern

Well, I didn't take it to the race track yet,

I want to be sure every thing is secure.

The engine feels like it's got at least 3/4 more power than the stock l28 with flat tops and n42 head. I still need to make and install a strut brace(from scrap metal).

Later,

Fire.

Guest firebern

Indeed,

I didn't expect to gain as much power as

I did. I thought my L28 was pretty good.

The frame needs to be strengten. I should

look at it this weekend, I am particularly

curious to see if the rear diff. is holding

tigth. I am thinking of reinforcing its

mounting points.

Then I'll be thinking of suspension and tires. No grip, no speed. icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks,

Fire.

Guest tom sixbey

i also saw a sight that used some type of shorty headers without moving the steering shaft... the steering shaft issue is the one thing that's scaring me away from the ford swap....

On ZCarsOnLine.com / 1UpAutomotive.com did a swap an had pictures--not sure if they are still up anymore. Pretty good pics of the mounts and stuff--they were using a Cobra motor and dubbed it the "Cobra Z." What else?

Davy

I like some of what I saw on the CobraZ site. Some other things I dislike.

What I like:

1. I like the simplicity of their mounts. Mine are more complicated.

What I dislike:

1. The engine is too far forward. About 2" further forward of mine. It looks like the reason for this was the factory shorty headers.

2. The engine is too high and at too much of an angle. Again I think this was too allow use of the factory headers. The datsun differential is mounted at approximately 5 degrees nose up, so the engine should be the same. From the photos on the site the angle looks greater. My engine is mounted at 2.5 degrees nose up, and the tail differential has been raised to match. The high mounting position of the CobraZ and the large angle will prevent use of the factory 5.0 clutch fan.

3. The CobraZ will need to run a remote oil filter.

4. The cobraZ will need a hood scoop, and/or a tiny air cleaner.

5. The T-5 shifter will not be aligned with the shifter holes in the floor or console.

One more thing Cobra engine have factory roller rockers; the engine shown on that site does not.

Just as an aside - those factory roller rockers were junk. Sourced from Crane too I might add! I ran into about 5 Cobra guys at a show once and they were all talking about the rockers, all but one of them had had a failure of some sort. Seems the pot metal they were made of wasn't too good if you beat on the motor much. icon_rolleyes.gif I think Crane may still sell those - do yourself a favor and spend a little bit more on good ones...