HybridZ

Center Exhaust Mock-Up

About a week ago I posted a write-up and pictures of the fuel tank I'm using and why I chose this tank and setup. Here are some picture of the exhaust setup I'm seriously contemplating. The mock-up was made from wood, thin chip board, and 2" PVC pipe. The 2" pipe is with 1/8" of 2.5" steel exhaust pipe. It may look a little hokey but it allows me to visualize what I'm trying to achieve without spending a lot of money. The mufflers are an exact duplicate of the Flowmasters I want to use. With real mandrel bends the piping will be a lot smoother and the transitions will also be better. Not wanting to spend a ton of time mounting the fake system the mufflers are touching surfaces and the tank but there is room to hang the real mufflers away from everything. I might have to use shields on top of the mufflers but those can be had or made and will not be seen.

IMG_1421.jpg

Side view

IMG_1422.jpg

Rear/Side view

IMG_1423.jpg

Rear view

IMG_1425.jpg

Driver side view

IMG_1427.jpg

Looking rearward

IMG_1428.jpg

WOW rough crowd!

Since I'm going to build the exhaust system myself, I needed to get a mental image on how to route the pipes and the placement of the mufflers. A custom exhaust system costs a lot of money and excluding my time I have $50 invested in materials. Knowing my design is going to work is invaluable and that is why I’m sharing it with you all. Yes it was a lot of work but if someone else is thinking about doing this the design is done.

Dan Juday,

That is the first time I saw that car – pretty cool for sure! Just proves there is nothing really new under the sun. I would be interested in hearing what that car sounds like.

Thanks for the compliment I appreciate it.

Dan

• 5 months later...

FYI, Make that exhaust come as close to the diff supports as you can (vertically). Your perspective ground clearance disappears as soon as you put your tires back on and lower it to the ground. That's the lowest point in my exhaust (3" under the diff) and it will scrape going over extreme bumps. (Extreme bumps?....ehh..you get the picture.) I also have no lowering suspension mods, etc.