HybridZ

weight of 302 ford compared to L26

Guest jens

How big is the difference. I want to swap to a v8 or big v6 that can be modified to go high 12s 1/4 miletimes on a budget. The problem is that european rules doesnt allow a weight gain unless nissan allows it so a chevy v8 is not possible. They also says that the swap engine only must have 20% more hp (would be modified to 300 hp ofcourse he he) but the engine code must refer to a legal hp. The english haynes manual claimes that a 260 has 165 hp. But i have heard that us versions only have 145-150 hp is this true as most of them are imported from us. I have considered a carbureted 302 with aftermarket alu heads.

Is there a version with max 20% more hp than a L26 and hopefully fitted with a t5 or maybe a AOD from the factory. I have considered a 4.0 rover alu engine but the ports in the heads seems way to small.

I have seen 460 lbs as the published weight of the late model 5.0L(302). I have never found the weight of the L-6 published anywhere.

The late model 5.0L mustang engines are rates at 225hp (1989-1991), 215hp(1992-1993), 205hp(1987-1988).

The late model 280Z engine were rated at 168 Hp(I believe)

168 +.2*168 = 201hp

earlier 1975 - 1986 302 were rated at less than 200 HP, and all can easily be modified to over 300 HP.

If you know the weight of the L-6, please post it.

When I did my swap the L24 weighed in at 425lbs. The '69 block 302 (later models had lighter cranks) I replaced it with weighed in at 389lbs. This weight was with the J302 aluminum heads and an aluminum flywheel with a 2x4 carb set-up (heavier than the single carb set-up).

Guest Thurem

Jens

Det er sgu rart at høre fra en dansker her i dette forum. Jeg bor i Tucson AZ, blandt andet fordi jeg var træt af de ting, som du beskriver i din post. Hvis du får brug for hjælp med at købe og importere en Datsun, ka det være jeg kan hjælpe.

Thure icon_cool.gif

Small world isnt it. Hvor boede du. How about a 351 windsor 2v is it much heavier since no one have used it. The 302 seems very interesting if i can get by with the higher torque (i hope so)

It depends on the source you get the numbers from. When my engine was delivered, with complete EFI setup, all accessories, and the T-5 still attatched, the total weight was 406 lbs. That's lighter than the L6 engine ONLY. I put MSAuto 1.5" lowering springs on my car, and because of the lighter weight in the front, the car sits almost stock height. I was amazed.

That's a 1995 5.0 and T-5 out of a Mustang GT.

Doubt an earlier engine would be much different.

AL

icon_biggrin.gif

I live in asnæs 60 miles from copenhagen and 25 miles from Kalundborg. This is my fathers homepage www.brems.subnet.dk/

he repairs and sells all types of stock car brakes.

The Z isnt mine but i wish it was. A z is exstremely rare in dk but its only a perfect original 240 that is expensive (around 8000)There are several 280zx and zxt but they have a ugly rearend. I was once offered a 240z for 3000 but i didnt knew anyting about a z at the time. the 4 or 5 260z there are goes for 1000-6000$ if they were going to be sold and that is cheap compared to a new car or a collectors item. A new corvette costs 150000$ and a old 68-73 vette from 15000$ /camaro from 10000 and up as the covernment want 180% in taxes from a new car and 105% for a imported used car.

Yeah we're pretty lucky in North America when it comes to cars. I remember my time in Denmark thinking 'where are all the old cars?' You just don't see them there. The I found out how difficult it is to keep anything over about 10 years old on the road due to government legislation. No thanks!

That said, there are a lot of good things about Scandinavia as well. icon_smile.gif More good than bad!

Guest Thurem

Jens

Hvor boede du

København.

I bought my 260Z fpr 250$, and the A/C is still working, had to replace cyl. head and radiator though. If you find a cheap Z in the Tucson area, I can go and check it out for you (Autotrader.com etc..). If they are over 25 y. old I think taxdaddy will let you have it a lot cheaper. As far as swapping engines , don't you have to consider the weight of the stock motor and the stock hp?

How about considering a later Supra turboengine and then just tweak the boost?

Thure

Hi Thurem i found out yesterday that then a friend bought a 39 chevy nearby sometime ago there stood a imported 280z beside it that was imported and was in pretty good shape except for the paint maybe he can talk him to sell. He had only given 280$ for it in us several years ago. The supra engine is a 5000$+ engine in europe and has 235 hp so its out of the question because + 20% is max. I know one that used 8 grand just to get 377 hp including a new turbo and some machine job. Thats to wild for me then a 347 ford can deliver the same for a little over 3000 including ignition and carb.