HybridZ

Am I Overlooking Something? (Newb Assembly Help)

Gigantor

I am working on assembling my MS2 v3 board and have reached the section where you connect the pcb with stimulator to tunerstudio for the first time. The goal is to then see the clock gauge count up. I follow the steps as far as setting the COM port and "setting the ecu" under General. And nothing. I am using the proper INI file when starting the project, however Tunerstudio states that it "detects a controller in X port, however no firmware is installed" when I move forward. I have installed firmware v2.905 using the downloader and jumping b/ld on the daughter card per the Megamanual's instruction, and running "verify" on the downloader program confirms the firmware is installed.

I have verified all of my solder connects, and proper +/- orientation. I am using a 9v battery to power the stim, and my meter confirms the battery has a full 9 volts. Would using a 12v power supply potentially solve the tunerstudio connection issue? Or is there something else I can check. I have spent countless hours researching this, and I have not found a topic with this same issue at this point in assembly.

I am working on assembling my MS2 v3 board and have reached the section where you connect the pcb with stimulator to tunerstudio for the first time. The goal is to then see the clock gauge count up. I follow the steps as far as setting the COM port and "setting the ecu" under General. And nothing. I am using the proper INI file when starting the project, however Tunerstudio states that it "detects a controller in X port, however no firmware is installed" when I move forward. I have installed firmware v2.905 using the downloader and jumping b/ld on the daughter card per the Megamanual's instruction, and running "verify" on the downloader program confirms the firmware is installed.

I have verified all of my solder connects, and proper +/- orientation. I am using a 9v battery to power the stim, and my meter confirms the battery has a full 9 volts. Would using a 12v power supply potentially solve the tunerstudio connection issue? Or is there something else I can check. I have spent countless hours researching this, and I have not found a topic with this same issue at this point in assembly.

Use 12 Volts,

a few years ago I tried a "in car" firmware upgrade and I had problems because of lower than 12 volts, once I plugged it into a external 12 volt source it worded fine,

as for running in my car, it worked fine ( 14 volts when running ), I just could not do a firmware upgrade.

my 2 cents worth.

Nigel

I did this recently and successfully had a counting clock. I am personally using MSExtra and they recently came out with a new firmware update that has instruction as to exactly what you are to do. Here is this link:

http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=91&t=44139

I believe there is a readme in the file that tells you step by step how to burn the firmware. Sounds like you've already done this, just wanted to make sure I got this into the post.

I had some error messages similar to yours, but my unit now responds to the stimulator as it did when I was running MS1/Extra, so I believe I am good to go. You may want to try re-burning your firmware and see if that helps.

I ended up giving up on trying to follow the standard MS2 install manual, and instead switched over to following the MS2-e manual. I have completed the board, and am now attempting to load firmware to the device.

However now whenever I go to try and install any "extra" firmware I get a Timed Out: 0xE0 message. Looking over the MSe forums, that appears to be a serial/comm issue. I am using a Radioshack brand adapter, which others appear to have had success with. I have the baud rate set to "1" for recieve and transmission, and port checker verifies that an MS device is present, and that no firmware is loaded. My stim is powered by a 12v 500ma charger, and I have all the right voltage in all the right places across the MS.

This is getting quite frustrating, as I have spent over 10 hours today trying to resolve this issue. I have attempted it on 3 seperate

windows computers (2x W7, 1X XP) computers, with all possible combinations. (Debug, no debug, etc). Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to borrow a friends laptop that has a db9 port. But if that does not work does anyone have any suggestions as to what I could try next?

Thank you Jacob for your link, as well as to Noddle for the suggestion of a 12v charger.

EDIT: Also, further confounding, is that the bootstrap will load just fine.

Edited by Gigantor

1. Turn off Megasquirt

Press any key to continue . . .

2. ! ! W A R N I N G ! !

!!!Ensure ALL Direct Driven Coils Are UNPLUGGED from MS ECU!!!

. If in doubt unplug all ignition coils from system!

. Damage to the MS ECU will result if you leave

. coils driven from the MS plugged in

3. Install Boot jumper. (marked B/LD on the MS2 plug-in card itself.)

4. Turn on Megasquirt

ms2dl.exe -c4 bootstrap.s19

MegaSquirt Download 1.05

Reading bootstrap.s19:

bootstrap.s19

Detected MS-II (HCS12) code.

Entry point: 0xc000

Code range : 0x4000-0xfff0

File read successfully.

Opened comm port 4 at 115200.

Erasing main FLASH:

Erased.

Writing:

Write complete, 213 records, 3392 bytes.

Verifying:

Verification succeeded, 213 records total (8 skipped).

Bootstrap loaded...

5. Turn off Megasquirt

6. Remove Boot jumper

NOTE! If you experience problems in the next phase then you might have a

problem with your computer's serial system. One possible workaround for

the normal step 7 is as follows.

7A Unplug the serial cable

7B Turn on the Megasquirt

7C Plug the serial cable in again

7. Turn on Megasquirt

ms2dl.exe -c4 ms2_extra.s19

MegaSquirt Download 1.05

Reading ms2_extra.s19:

ms2_extra.s19

Detected MS-II (HCS12) code.

Entry point: 0xc000

Code range : 0x4000-0x3dbfc0

File read successfully.

Opened comm port 4 at 115200.

Erasing main FLASH:

Erased.

Writing:

Setting page register 0x38:

Page set.

Erasing page 0x38:

Erased.

ERROR: Timed out reading response, 0xE0

Note: I performed a, b, and c upon reaching step #7.

Edited by Gigantor

If you can't get it figured out try this link. It's a PCB mount USB- DB9 replacement. I used it for my board and never had a communication issue at all, and the best part is that I don't have an adaptor sticking out. One tiny USB plug. Quick, simple, flawless.

http://www.soselectronic.com/?str=998

Edit: I forgot to bring it up-The driver for this unit autoloads in Windows7. It was so easy, I didn't even need an easy button.

Edited by macambra

I found This post, and I went through it and tried every suggestion put forward in it; checked the voltage on the proper pins, tried unplugging at X time, etc etc. Is it possible the daughter card that came in my DIYAutoTune kit was just a lemon? Are there any simple tests I can do to check the daughter card?