HybridZ

Fixed that dratted stud, still leaking

BlueStag

And the prize goes to.....................

Split by Leon and Tony!

Leon: yes, the exhaust pipe flange was grossly distorted. Much effort to flatten them out, and a large flat file eventually got the dratted thing pretty straight.

Tony: A whole lot of Permatex red RTV was applied as the sun went down yesterday, to a fresh gasket. The whole mess was torqued up, and left to cure overnight. It was a bit cool here yesterday, so in the morning I gave it just 60 seconds of running, to tell me that it was tight (YEAH!) and shut it down, to work on all the other work that the engine currently needs. That zot of heat was hopefully enough finish the cure of the RTV without blasting it out of the voids it is filling.

I took the dratted thing out for a ride, about four miles, and it seems to still be tight. I live in hope.

Being the good sport that I am, I will be doubling the prize: a trip around the block in my car, with the top down. One for each of you. Offer good for a month.

C-ya!

And the prize goes to.....................

Split by Leon and Tony!

Leon: yes, the exhaust pipe flange was grossly distorted. Much effort to flatten them out, and a large flat file eventually got the dratted thing pretty straight.

Tony: A whole lot of Permatex red RTV was applied as the sun went down yesterday, to a fresh gasket. The whole mess was torqued up, and left to cure overnight. It was a bit cool here yesterday, so in the morning I gave it just 60 seconds of running, to tell me that it was tight (YEAH!) and shut it down, to work on all the other work that the engine currently needs. That zot of heat was hopefully enough finish the cure of the RTV without blasting it out of the voids it is filling.

I took the dratted thing out for a ride, about four miles, and it seems to still be tight. I live in hope.

Being the good sport that I am, I will be doubling the prize: a trip around the block in my car, with the top down. One for each of you. Offer good for a month.

C-ya!

:lol:

I'd take you up on that if I were anywhere near LA! Glad to hear that you've solved the problem. :2thumbs:

On to the next one... B)

I return to LAX this Friday, PM Directions and I'll divert through Burbank to take you up on it.

Either that, or I'm taking that routing through Manila...then I might be back sometime midweek next. :o

In either case, I'll be in the area and all I need is directions or Thomas Guide Cross Streets and a phone number!

Keep on the nuts, they tend to loosen with the heat cycling. I went to Grade "C" Locknuts to keep them from rattling loose. I put new studs in at headpipe change with liberal coatings of nickel-based anti-seize figuring the locknuts would become part of the stud by the time I ever have a problem with it. I could probably use bolts but it makes putting the headpipe up a royal *****. Studs give you something to at least keep it in place until you get the nuts on an started!

:lol:

I'd take you up on that if I were anywhere near LA! Glad to hear that you've solved the problem. :2thumbs:

On to the next one... B)

My kid wants to see SF again. Possibly I'll bamboozle the wife and kid on a road trip.

Although with gas at $4/gal and a L6 doing well to get 20mpg, at least mine is, I don't know about that.

post-21407-033866700 1331613547_thumb.jpg

My kid wants to see SF again. Possibly I'll bamboozle the wife and kid on a road trip.

Although with gas at $4/gal and a L6 doing well to get 20mpg, at least mine is, I don't know about that.

Let me know if you're ever in the area! PM me and I'll give you my number so you can save it for when the time comes. ;)