HybridZ

Injectors not firing in L28ET swap - need help diagnosing

volfan98

Hey guys, i've swapped a 1983 L28ET into my 77 280Z. Car cranks but doesn't start. I know I have fuel pressure at the rail but after cranking the plugs are still dry and no smell of gas, so i think my injectors aren't firing. I want to check continuity from the coil to the ECU - is it pin 5 of the turbo ecu that goes through the tach to the coil?

Thanks!

Download the FSM here http://www.xenons130.com/reference.html

That will give you instructions for all the pin-test diagnostics.

Check to make sure you have spark too. If you have no spark and the injectors are not opening then your CAS probably isn't sending a signal to the ECU. Make sure your ECU has power when cranking too.

And of course poor grounding could be the culprit too.

Yea if the injectors are opening you should be able to hear a pretty loud "click click click" when cranking. It wouldn't hurt to check the voltage at the injector connectors though. A tired battery might not have the juice to fully open the injectors, especially after prolonged cranking. Just for fun, lay a spark plug on the valve cover and crank it. You should be able to see a spark (you might need to be in a garage with the lights out though). Just because you have power to the coil doesn't mean that it is sending spark to the plugs.

A neat little trick I used when I was getting my 280zx running was to disconnect the fuel pump so the fuel rail stayed dry, and lay all six spark plugs on the valve cover, using tape to hold them. I then pulled the distributor out of the engine, and leaving everything hooked up and the key in the "on" position, I turned the distributor by hand and could see all six plugs sparking and hear the injectors clicking clearly. This is a pretty simple way to ensure that everything is working properly.

There is a connector that has 6 green wires and heavy black ground wires pins are 101 102 103 104 105 106, with the engine key off, ground each wire with the connector unplugged, ground each wire 101 102 103 104 105 106 to chassis ground you have to see a little sparks between ground wire and the other wire, if you don't have that, you don't have the 12v feed to the injectors.

your fuel pump relay must be work and spark too.

• 3 months later...