HybridZ

Dumb mistake for today...

billseph

Hello HybridZ. I just had to share my dumb Z related mistake for the day. I've been tidying up the wiring harness on my L28ET swapped 240Z with a JWT 450HP computer and mods...Anyways I had the car running okay finally and was really enjoying hearing it finally running again (been a mess for a while).

Now the mistake...I had the harness somewhat haphazardly arranged in the engine bay since I'd be taking it out shortly to remove unneeded sensor plugs and doing a partial wire tuck. After everything got warmed up and I'd revved her up a few times, the car abruptly shut off and seconds later I smelled burning wire insulation and then came the smoke. YIIIIIIIIKES!! Unplugged the ECU (was sitting on the fender thankfully, turned the key off, and yanked off anything connected to the battery. PHEW, let everything cool off after verifying the (near) fire was over and as far as I can deduce it looks like the loom heading over to the EFI relay with the CHTS and knock sensor wires in it (as well as POWER wires) had managed to work it's way over the the downpipe and melted and shorted.

FACEPALM...I guess my wire tuck work will be coming sooner than later now :) Thankfully it looks like that area of the harness is all that's been affected...only about 9 wires. Lesson for today...secure your wiring up out of harms way. LOL.

Edited by billseph