HybridZ

Dead Pedal mod

Daphur280

Once upon a time I saw an aftermarket dead pedal that look similar, if not in fact actually, Momo pedal, much like the pedal kit MSA previously sold. However after an exhaustive search (5min on the internet) I came across no such pedal. And if anyone has big feet like me, you can share my frustration with the minuscule factory dead pedal. So I ventured out to a local pick n pull to see what factory dead pedals I might be able to swap over.

Amongst my search I came across only 2 vehicles that had some-what suitable foot rests.

The first came from a 3rd gen Jeep Cherokee

IMAG0578.jpg

underside:

IMAG0579.jpg

the second came from a 2000 Suzuki Grand Vitara

IMAG0580.jpg

underside:

IMAG0581.jpg

I was looking for something that would fit for both wide feet and long feet.

Gonna look at the fitment tonight and post more!

So I had a chance to mock them up a bit tonight. granted the ECU was in the way, I think I got a general idea of what needed to be done.

Here's a front shot of the long pedal, ignore the wiry mess:

IMAG0586.jpg

here's from a different angle:

IMAG0589.jpg

and another angle, you can see this one is pushed out a bit too far, I'm going to mess with a few shims to try different angles, and remove the ECU so I can get a proper fitment:

IMAG0588.jpg

The wide pedal took a bit of trimming, I had to cut the plastic tabbing and file down a cone off the bottom of it to rest against the factory pedal, which makes it perfect for mounting it to:

IMAG0590.jpg

You can notice this looks closer in similarity to the OEM pedals,

Here's from another angle:

IMAG0591.jpg

and another angle, this one fits a little bit better and further away for a better angle when resting your foot, PLUS, the factory mounting lines up perfectly with the pedal, so drilling a hole to mount it may be easier than the long pedal:

IMAG0592.jpg

Personally I favor the longer pedal, but I will have to do a little more fab work to get proper fitment for both.

Edited by Daphur280

FWIW, you could attach a peice of 1/8" steel or 1/4" aluminum to the factory nub of a dead pedal, and then paint it black, and attach a Subaru dead pedal pad to the plate you made.  The subaru pads are flat plastic rectangles with ribs, and are held in place with two plastic rivets.  Easy to get too. 

3184d1205350622-dead-pedal-install-probelms-img_0663.jpg

Edited by cygnusx1

FWIW, you could attach a peice of 1/8" steel or 1/4" aluminum to the factory nub of a dead pedal, and then paint it black, and attach a Subaru dead pedal pad to the plate you made.  The subaru pads are flat plastic rectangles with ribs, and are held in place with two plastic rivets.  Easy to get too. 

3184d1205350622-dead-pedal-install-probelms-img_0663.jpg

Something like this is what I was thinking, though, I had something more like getting some generic rubber in mind, than looking for a specific car to pull something from.