HybridZ

Coilovers or not?

Well how much drop are you getting out of the tokicos? I love the look of the ZGs and i have a set on my 280Z so im not worried about that. And i do want to make this into a pretty serious street machine, Im looking for 400HP on a boosted L28 so it will have atleast a roll bar and harnesses in it. So i guess it will be more of a track car that i drive on the street haha.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd run 245's all around. Staggered wheel set ups aren't good on a Z because of how balanced it is. I will be running 9" wheels on all 4 corners. However I'll be running 225 tires since I fell in love with some wheels that only come in 15" and there's like no decent tires available wider than 225 without having a stupidly tall sidewall. I'm still a little unclear of offsets myself. FWIW, I will be getting -25 rears, and -15 fronts and spacing from there as necessary. Haha that's funny that it's a track car you'll be driving on the street, that's the same thing I'm doing lol! Like I said earlier, you can totaly customize what springs you want to run. You can acctually get softer springs than the tokicos should you want to. I'm sure you can even get some that are softer than the stock springs...

Yeah i want to run the Rota RBs, I know everyone runs them but i love how they look. So since i want 9" wide i guess i'll be running 17x9 -13 up front and 17x9.5 -19 in the back cause thats as big as they run on Rota's site :P. Yeah i want a pretty serious street car so im not too worried about ride quality i just dont want it to shake me and the car to pieces haha.

Haha the rb's aren't my first choice but my friend here has them on his 260z and they look way better in person. There's a roadser by my school with real panasports and i can't tell the difference between the two haha. I acctually thought they were rota's all along until I was stuck in traffic this morning and glanced over at it like i usually do and noticed the center cap says panasport haha. You sound like you want the same as me. Go with 250# rear and 225# front springs with the aw11 mr2 rear shocks in the front, and 240z front shocks in the rear, and you should be plenty happy!

Haha sorry.. should've explained better. Now this has been covered about a million times but oh well, a million and one can't hurt. For your front struts, order the tokico bz3099 (mr2 aw11 rear strut inserts) and section the strut tube to fit them. For the rear shocks, order the tokico bz3015 (240z front) and section to fit. This is the best set up because you get a new gland nut that fits the stock Z tube.

lol your credit card company will thank me later :) haha I have decided that the best kit out there for a hot street car is the silvermine stage 4. It will fit under 16's without a doubt. Uses toyo vented front 4 pistons, and vented mustang rear single piston w/ e brake.

You daily drive your car? I have seen quite a few people here from mass but I have yet to see a z on the road in a long time. I just got my 260z registered last week. I drove it 1 day and I get a lot f necks snapping.

Sorry for being off topic.

Well im a good Hour and a half from you so thats probably why you never see it :P And yeah there arent many on the road around here but i have my 240 and my dad has my old 280 so thats two in danvers lol. But yeah I get alot of looks. Back on topic though it is a good deal for what you get its just not on top of my priority list. Suspension first then wheels and tires then motor swap and then all the extra goodies haha.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd re-think that if you're gonna be running flares. FWIW, I'm gonna be running 15x9's with flares and will be getting -25 offset for all 4, and I will still most likely need a 15mm spacer in the back and maybe a 10 in front. If you go with 0 offset, you'll probably end up wanting new wheels when you install the flares. Might as well just install them with the coils, or plan on new wheels after. As far as I know, a 0 offset should be fine with stock fenders. You may need to go at the inner fender with a sledge or grinder... but I think with an 8" wheel you should be ok.

Yeah Im probably not going to put the flares on till next summer when i get it fully repainted and gutted. I just need something for now that is better than stock. Im looking at the XXR 532's since they are cheap and look similar to the HRE 505's which I think look awesome.