HybridZ

Tire fit help please

Hey guys, I have a 1980 280ZX and I've been looking at getting some XXR 527 wheels. Everyone I have seen running them is on the older S30 cars. I want to get the 16X8.25 wheels and run something like a 245/50/16. I have seen that same size on an older S30 so they should fit on a ZX right? Only thing is, when I type the sizes from stock tire to that size in a tire calculator it comes up with something about grater than a 3% change and could lead to brake failure. Anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with this, what tire size to run, or anything that could help me out with this I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

When you run a bigger tire, you have a bigger diameter and so you're speedo will be off. I've had a bigger tire for like....a year now and I'm kicking butt at autoX events.

I would try for a 225/50, since it is almost perfect for tire size. PLus they are cheaper, more options, weigh less.....

Asking if they will fit depends on your offset and your suspension\.

I'm pretty sure you have shocks and struts right? if so then get either 0 offset or slightly negative and it will fit fine.

Edited by BluDestiny

The brake failure thing is pure nonsense, ignore that warning. Use the search function on this forum looking for Rota RBR + 280zx. There is a guy on this forum with a silver lowered 280zx with wheels in the ball park of what you are asking for. He's got pictures and everything. I think they are 16X8 with the +4mm offset. He wrote in detail about his experience and has lots of pictures. I'm pretty sure you can run a lot bigger/wider wheels and tires on a ZX than you can with a 1st generation Z-car. Don't sweat the details of your speedo being off - just keep pace with traffic and you won't get a ticket.

Edited by RebekahsZ

You're talking about battlesquaddatsun I think, or akumazedex on ratsun.

He is running 16x8 rota grids with +10 offset. He originally had to use a 3mm spacer to clear the stock struts, then when he wanted to be flush he went with 1.25" spacers up front and 1.5" spacers in the rear.

Also he is using coilovers. S13 in the rear and GC up front

Edited by BluDestiny

Yea they are 16X8.25 with a 0 offset. Its funny because right after I posted this I remembered you were running 8" wide wheels in the front so I felt a little dumb for not looking back at that first... My mistake. Thanks for the help though. I've been looking forward to getting wider tires for a while now, but I wanted to make sure I got it right when I first got them. I was kinda hung up on the 245 width but looking at the pictures of your tires, the 225 should be wide enough. Now I remember reading you had to pull the fenders, that was only in the rear right, or all around??

• 2 weeks later...

How bad is it to run spacers and how little of a spacer can I use without having to get longer wheel studs? Or is it pretty much spacers need longer wheel studs to be safe? How are they going to affect the performance? If its going to be too much hassel I might just end up sending them back and getting some diamond racing 8" wheels. I just liked the way these looked. They are realty close to the strut tube but I have seen guys with z's not zx's running these wheels with no spacers. Any advice or input helps.

II could have swore I read multiple places that 4.5" of backspacing works fine for a 280zx. If my math is right a 0 offset on a 8.25" wide wheel should only be 4.125" of backspacing and should fit right? But I feel like if I mount the tires its going to rub.

Ok, Rundown of spacers are if you use thin ones it shouldn't be an issue. The bigger ones, 1" plus, bolt onto your hub like wheels and have their own studs. The won't really affect performance unless you didn't properly install them, then they could potentially shear your studs if you hit a nasty pothole.

Like I said, battlequaddatsun is running those same exact wheel sizes but with +10 offset. If you get 0 offset they will clear everything.

As for backspacing, 4.5" works perfect on an s30, the ZX's can take about that in the front and a little more in the rear (so to speak). if you want it to stick out more you actually want less backspacing, which is effectively what the wheel spacers would do.

I can try to get a picture but like I said, there is almost no space between just the wheel and the strut tube in the front and I'm worried that the tire is going to rub. Everything I have read tells me these wheels should work fine with no spacer. (8.25" wide 0 offset) but looking at it on the car I don't see it. Maybe ill just get the tires mounted and put them all on and see what happens.

This is why it makes no sense to me why I would need spacers with these wheels. 1 I thought you had more room on a zx not less as far as back spacing goes, and 2 the rota group buy wheels have 4.5" backspacing and they fit fine from my understanding. I guess ill know what's needed hopefully by the end of today.

Edited by CaptainJoe87

Yea I can fit the tip of my pinky between the wheel and the strut if I try really hard. I guess I just need to mount the tires and see what happens.

How much does price matter when buying spacers? I've seen online anywhere from $7-80. I'm thinkin cheap ones should do just fine am I wrong?

Edited by CaptainJoe87

But on a positive note, the wider wheels and tires, along with the tokiko lowering kit, and the thicker swaybars I got, make this car handle so nice. I'm super excited about these suspension upgrades l, they make a world of difference. Brakes are next because mine are almost metal on metal, then exhaust. I know its off topic from the original post but anyone done the front brakes on an 80 zx? When you remove the bearings do they need to be pressed back in? I'm trying to decide whether I should take it to a shop or not.

When I had mine off, I had the hubs blasted and powdercoated. And brought it to a shop to grease and pack the bearings. I basically picked up my hubs like this:

PICT0009.jpg

You shouldn't need to press them in, my friend used a socket and a soft hammer to pound them in.

What tires are you using?

Edited by BluDestiny