HybridZ

Engine mounting plates

blueovalz

In the near future, I'm going to be installing a new rotating assembly in my SBF. While doing this, I thought about making a template of the plates I made to mount the engine. I would like some information about the differences (if any exist) in the timing chain covers for the different years of 302 motors. This way I can incorporate all or any changes in bolt patterns in the template, which may help anybody contemplating this mounting method in the future. So if any of you Ford guy who are knowledgable in this area chime in, I'd appreciate it. I will also focus my endeavors toward finding an acceptable mount that allows this plate to mount onto the OEM Z crossmember's engine pedestals.

Terry, I know there are a few minor changes in the timing covers (fuel pump mount, dipstick location, maybe others?) but I can't remember what years/applications had what.

You might try looking at www.enginequest.com (go to their "online shopping" link) they sell rebuilt and new timing covers, and you might be able to check out some of the differences there.

Jim

Guest Anonymous

I just replaced my late model timing cover (used serpentine belt set-up/efi(?) dampner and had the water pump outlet on the drivers side.) with an early version. I still have the cover and will do a tracing of it and email it your way. Hope it helps.

Jon

Guest Anonymous

Wait a minute. It was a direct bolt-on. There is no difference. DOH!

I guess the way the accessories bolt up is the problem. Timing marks are on the passenger side also. Water pump extended out 1/2" further...

Terry, I can take some pics of it if that will help.

Jon

• 3 weeks later...