HybridZ

Xterra R180 in a '73?

Zmanco

Is that the transfer case one, the X is a 4x4 right?

http://www.edmunds.com/nissan/xterra/

It's available in three trim levels: X, S and Pro-4X. The first two are offered in either rear- or four-wheel-drive versions, while the Pro-4X is offered in 4WD only.

Can't tell if it's 4x4 - I've got an email into the seller.

The modern Subaru R180 bolts in. Unless they made a different short nose R180, I'd say it's probably going to fit. The real issue might be the output shaft splines and retention mechanism on the Xterra. Bjhines was nice enough to give pictures on how to convert a 240SX with circlips to bolt in and I put that info in my big diff thread. You might need to do something like that. It might also be possible that it uses the same splines as the Subaru, in which case you need Coffey's adapter diff output stubs. I think you'll have to check it out to know what you're up against.

Thanks Jon, I was thinking that the output shaft splines might be different. I heard back from the seller and it's the front diff, in which case it won't be worth the trouble and cost for an open diff. Also turns out that there is a lot of discussion on the Xterra forums about breaking the R180 up front when off-roading. Apparently it's common to swap to a bigger diff which is probably why this one is for sale.

Let me clarify what I'm looking to do. I currently have an R180 4.11 with Powerbrute LSD and a NA 5 speed behind a turbo L28. I'm planning to swap to a T5 and hence need to change the diff ratio to 3.54, or perhaps 3.7. My plan has been to source a 3.54 R180 from a 240Z automatic, but so far am not finding anything local. The idea was to swap the LSD from the 4.11 over to the new diff.

With regard to the Xterra diff, given I'm going to swap the LSD carrier into it, then do I care about the output shaft splines, etc? Aren't those part of the LSD assembly? Sorry for the dumb question, but it has been years since I installed it and the pictures in my head are fuzzy.

Also, I seem to remember a discussion regarding 10mm vs. 12 mm bolts used to secure the ring gear. As it's not convenient to drop the diff to open it up, can anyone venture a guess which size I currently have and what I'm likely to find in the Xterra R180? FWIW, my current 4.11 came from the front of a Nissan 720 pickup.

Lastly, even if the owner of the Xterra off roads it, isn't the weak spot on the R180 that they only used 2 pinion gears? Spinning a wheel would seem to be likely when off road and hence the weakness people see with those diffs. Given I'd be replacing the open carrier, none of this matters to me, correct?

Edited by Zmanco

We have a 4.11 gear set in our LSD from a PU and it uses the 10mm bolts the Subies use the 12mm I dont know about the xterras, I would recomend for checking the bolt size on the Xterra call Lynchburg Nissan @434-385-7733 and ask for Rieley (parts dept manager)he supports a lot of the east coast nissan racers and would be able to tell you what size bolts the ring gear uses. Remember you wont be able to use the old 240 3.54s because they were based on the old 110mm ring gear sets and your diff is for the 115mm.