HybridZ

No Bi Annual smog test for 1981 and older?!

Kali

I have already posted this in another topic but being from CA I see this as a pretty big deal and feel that this needs a topic of its own. So read what's posted in the link, give your feed back and write. Make a difference and save our rusty old diamonds in the rough.

http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/2012/03/22/california-bill-may-exempt-pre-1981-cars-from-smog-testing/

Breaking news to all you CA owners CA senators are getting together to vote on a new bill to extend the no biannual smog check for cars/truck 1981 and older. Please read the link above and support the cause. Write to these senators and show that we are decent men/women that love are cars, and that we are good resposible people of the car culture. People around the world love the Fairlady and we in CA have some of the greatest ones still on the road. Let's just make sure we keep them legal!

Did you read the last post on JNC's Facebook post?

I was supposedly voted down last month on the 28th, but according to legislative record vote was supposed to be April 10th.

http://info.sen.ca.gov/cgi-bin/postquery?bill_number=sb_1224&sess=CUR&house=B&site=sen

So much for "recent breaking news"!

Maybe the RBN is the vote sunk it... But the snail pace of casual Internet observers kinds keeps the pot stirred now doesn't it?

Edited by Tony D

Tony, maybe I don't understand the site, but according to your link, it appears that they initially voted it down, then had a reconsideration granted. Wouldn't that mean it should come up again at a later date? Please do correct me if I'm wrong.

I am never in the non-tech areas of the board, and wish I had seen this earlier.

It seems one of the votes against came from my Senator. I sent my letter, not

that I expect much. I hope that La Malfa and Vargas don't give up and if my

Senator continues to oppose it, I can do my part to get him out of office.

Tony, maybe I don't understand the site, but according to your link, it appears that they initially voted it down, then had a reconsideration granted. Wouldn't that mean it should come up again at a later date? Please do correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes, it was voted down on the 28th of March.

The second scheduled vote was taken on the10th of April.

This was initially posted in the 14th of April.

Not really "breaking" news, but "broken"...

Point being, this stuff is all public record. It's only breaking if you choose to remain uninformed. If you don't keep abreast of this on your own, then this will all shock you when it happens.keep informed, subscribe to newsletters like SEMA Legislative Action so you have a chance of your short attention span ADDHD Representative hearing and voting appropriately. SEMA sends put thesealerts so the legislators get their offices flooded just prior to the vote. This is the most effective method.

By the time "the network" on the Internet gets this around, generally it's not only too little--it's much too late. Each time this happens I urge those who were unknowing to sign up for the alerts in the hopes that maybe NEXT TIME that many more voices will be heard.

Nothing comes if talking about it on the Internet. You have to get involved, not just talk, after the fact.

Edited by Tony D

Another point to know:

None of the Senators or Assemblymen care much what you think unless you can help them get elected.

Specifically, the people you get to vote for are the people you especially need to write to. Unless you have absolute buckets of money to splash around, the others really don't care.

You can go ahead and write to the committee members, but it will not have anything like the impact of a letter from a constituent.

Oh, letters with stamps count vastly more than do e-mails. Seriously, they keep track of the difference. Phone calls count more than e-mails.

If a bill that you care about is under consideration in a committee that your rep does not sit on, that does not mean that you should not let your rep know what you think. These people sit on six or ten committees each, they all work with everybody in the chamber and talk to everyone else every few days. When the first bill was under consideration about 1993, the one that exempted '73 and earlier, I called my assemblyman's office. Now, I was active in the party at the time. He called back in half an hour, I told him what I wanted and who the author was, he told me he was meeting with him later that day and would probably vote for it.

That is not to say that if you want to donate $100 to the authors of a bill even if they are not your rep, that they will not notice. But find out where their political office is and mail it there. There is no reason you cannot say expressly "I don't live in your district but I appreciate your work on this, please accept this donation to your reelection." (We have short term limits in this state, so fully a third of either house is termed out for any given election, they might be on the way out.)

I'm still active in politics, and am very tight with one of the leaders in the Assembly. Mike Gatto? The guy putting up a bill to allow retro license plates? He's a car dude. He probably would support it if it got to the Assembly.

I would not mind seeing a version of the bill that required that cars fitted with cats maintain them. Cats don't slow you down, and they do a lot to clean up your exhaust.

Edited by BlueStag

Yes, it was voted down on the 28th of March.

The second scheduled vote was taken on the10th of April.

This was initially posted in the 14th of April.

Not really "breaking" news, but "broken"...

Point being, this stuff is all public record. It's only breaking if you choose to remain uninformed. If you don't keep abreast of this on your own, then this will all shock you when it happens.keep informed, subscribe to newsletters like SEMA Legislative Action so you have a chance of your short attention span ADDHD Representative hearing and voting appropriately. SEMA sends put thesealerts so the legislators get their offices flooded just prior to the vote. This is the most effective method.

By the time "the network" on the Internet gets this around, generally it's not only too little--it's much too late. Each time this happens I urge those who were unknowing to sign up for the alerts in the hopes that maybe NEXT TIME that many more voices will be heard.

Nothing comes if talking about it on the Internet. You have to get involved, not just talk, after the fact.

I didn't think it was breaking news, as you pointed out it's been around for a while. I've seen it floating around multiple times. I was just referring to the CA senate site. It (appears) that it's going to come up for a vote at another later date, but I I'm not sure I'm reading it correctly. Although the SEMA site would seem to confirm the way I was reading the site.