HybridZ

Importing 240z to BC

no clue

Hello,

I'm relatively new to HybridZ, but I've been reading up a lot on Datsuns and am looking at purchasing my first 240z. I'm from Vancouver, BC, and considering importing from the US, but not entirely sure how difficult the ordeal is. I've searched google, as well as HybridZ, and have found a bit of info. on the importation process, but would like to hear from someone who has actually imported a '70-'73 240. I'm a university student, and am drawn to the 240z for its appearance, price point and character. I don't have any mechanical background (other than auto. class in grade 11), but would love to learn how to work on the car, and perhaps talk to someone from Vancouver to learn more about them. That being said, I'm looking at spending around $3000-$6000, depending on the condition of car (preferably on the lower end of the scale) and have found a few around Portland and Seattle. If anyone has any information on importing Datsuns into BC, or information on what needs to be done once the car is in BC, it would be greatly appreciated. I also wasn't entirely sure about BC's situation on Air Care, because I think they still need to be inspected for emissions unlike in some of the States? Is it easy to pass Air Care?

Look forward to hearing back from some of you,

Thanks.

Look up the B.C. Ministry of Transport website, there will be information on there about it. Calling your local MoT will also help point you in the right direction.

When I imported my 240Z from Washington into Ontario, I had to make sure it was 15+ years old (well duh, lol), didn't have A/C (extra paperwork/charges), find a broker and a few other things that I'm sure I'm forgetting, since it's been 4 years.

I had the transport company worry about the border paperwork.

I imported my 240z (and several other cars) from Washington into BC. This is what you need to do:

1. find and buy the car, get a bill of sale and a copy of title

2. call or email the US border vehicle import department (they are at the truck crossing) to get the paperwork you need to fill out

3. you MUST wait 3 days from when the paperwork is submitted to them before you import the car.

4. get a insurance rider from Autoplan agent for a few days insurance

5. drive the car to the US side of the border in Blaine and get the title stamped "exported"

6. drive to the Canadian border and tell them you are importing a car

7. go inside and pay GST or HST or whatever they charge now

8. for an old car, you only need one of the two inspections to get registered and insured. You can go to many garages for this

9. you need Aircare only after the first year is up. I passed with flying colours and my car was running pig-rich with blueish exhaust

10. don't forget to post photos here when you get your car

Pretty easy but you must do all these steps. Good luck!